Copy and paste text from internet. Extra dots and spaces

Barth

Copy and paste text from internet. Extra dots and spaces

Post by Barth »

Hello

When I paste a text from the web (copy and paste) into a TextMaker space, but don't paste it at the end, TextMaker generates huge whitespace, example:

Before pasting I had this text in TextMaker:

Description
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

So I copy some text from the network, and paste it before the word "Description", the result is:

text pasted
Description

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

---------------

...generating some blank spaces, of which I've had enough of pressing the Delete many times key to try to make the text not have these long spaces (to put it right not as so simple as pressing the delete key once only). Since I've wasted so much time on this, many times I have to use WordPad so as not to have that problem.

Greetings
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Copy and paste text from internet. Extra dots and spaces

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. For better understanding, please share the sample document and the source link from which you copied the text and text which you copied so that we can check this problem at our end.
Adeckwatt

Post by Adeckwatt »

Well, this problem is acute for me too. I don`t copy huge paragraphs at a time, but copying single words from the internet is hard because their formatting conflicts with the formatting of the TextMaker file I work in. In Word there is a useful option "Keep text only" for that case, in TextMaker there is no such function.

I used to copy such words to Notepad, but then I figured out that using Search panel of TextMaker works fine for me without switching to other programms. That is, I copy the word from an internet article I need, switch to TextMaker, press Ctrl+F, paste the word in question in the only field there, then copy this word from it and paste where I need. That`s a bit cumbersome way, but it works.

And for the topic starter I can suggest using various addons for browsers with the key words "copy plain text".
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

You might try to use "Paste special" (Alt+Shift+V) instead of "Paste" and choose "Unformatted text" there. This corresponds to "Keep text only" in Word and should avoid formatting conflicts.
Adeckwatt

Post by Adeckwatt »

Oh, Jossi, Ctrl+Alt+B really works! Thank you very much! :D
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

Ctrl+Alt+V should be the correct shortcut for "Paste special", I think?
Adeckwatt

Post by Adeckwatt »

stascheit, you are right, that was a typo of mine, thank you. Strangely Alt+Shift+V didn`t work for me, just nothing happens with pressing this combination in my case.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Adeckwatt wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:57 pm Strangely Alt+Shift+V didn`t work for me, just nothing happens with pressing this combination in my case.
Maybe this was a mistake on my side. It might be possible that this is a keyboard shortcut I defined myself. Sorry for any confusion caused!
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

I attempted to reproduce the problem and it didn't occur.

TextMaker 2021, Windows 10.
Adeckwatt

Post by Adeckwatt »

Jossi wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:52 pm You might try to use "Paste special". This corresponds to "Keep text only" in Word and should avoid formatting conflicts.
One more interesting thing about this option I came across a while ago is that using this option doesn`t delete some additional information taken from the site from which a word or phrase is copied. That is, I stumbled upon a website with an interesting article and copied a term from it, then opened TextMaker, casted "Paste special", pasted the word in my file... and got the link of the article pasted as well) Both the word and the link were unformatted to my happiness) When I paste the same word like I did before discovering this option with the help of Jossi, I mean just coping the word to Search and replace panel and then coping it again to the text, no link occurs in the document. Hope such feedback might be of help.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”