Inserting fractions in Textmaker 2021 - SmartText?

AbbyNormal5

Inserting fractions in Textmaker 2021 - SmartText?

Post by AbbyNormal5 »

Hello - is there a way to tell Textmaker to automatically substitute the one-half symbol after I type in 1/2?

It shows up in symbols for most fonts, but I don't know how to tell the program to automatically insert a symbol, especially via SmartText.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated!
AbbyNormal5

Re: Inserting fractions in Textmaker 2021 - SmartText?

Post by AbbyNormal5 »

For what it's worth, the symbol I want to insert appears to be U-00BD.
Is there a way to enter that into a SmartText entry that Textmaker will understand and convert text into that symbol?
Woody44

Re: Inserting fractions in Textmaker 2021 - SmartText?

Post by Woody44 »

Yes, I just did it.

Go to Insert > Smart Text. (I use the classic menu, but the user manual describes where to find it using the ribbon menu -- see page 377.)

When the window opens, you will see two panels. The left panel displays the name of the Smart Text shortcut -- what you type. The right panel displays what the shortcut will be replaced by. Below that is a check box for "Expand Smart Text entries." This has to be checked if you want replacements to be made automatically. Then, below that, are options for "New," "Delete," Rename," "Save," "Insert," and "Close." To create a new Smart Text entry, choose "New."

The way I did it was, before opening the Smart Text dialogue, I opened a blank document and used Insert > Symbol to insert the typeset "1/2" character in Times New Roman. Then I highlighted it and copied it to the clipboard.

Then I opened the Insert > Smart Text dialogue and clicked "New." This pops up a window in which to enter the name for the Smart Text entry -- type what you will enter from the keyboard. I typed "1/2" -- as in '1' plus '/' plus '2'. Then click "Okay." This takes you back to the Smart Text dialogue window, with the cursor in the right-hand window. Just hit CTRL+V to paste the "1/2" character into the window, then click "Save."

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”