Portable mode creates unnecessary folders

beny

Portable mode creates unnecessary folders

Post by beny »

Softmaker Office 2021 Portable (TextMaker + PlanMaker) creates "Bullets", "PlanMaker 2021 templates" and "TextMaker 2021 templates" folders in C:\Users\USER\Documents\SoftMaker when you run it. If you delete these folders, they will be created again the next time you start the application.
At the same time \Portable\SoftMaker Office Portable\ has \SoftMaker\ folder with the specified subfolders and it is this folder that is specified in the application settings as the folder for saving templates.
What's the reason, how can I prevent the creation of folders in C:\Users\USER\Documents\? :(
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Portable mode creates unnecessary folders

Post by miguel-c »

SoftMaker Office simply repairs its installation. An Office suite without templates or designs is incomplete, so it restores these files.

Now, that these files are created in C:\Users most likely has the reason that you don't have "portable.txt" file in the SoftMaker Office program folder. If you do, these files will be created on the same drive as the portable install.

The easiest to achieve the desired configuration is to run usbstick.exe.
beny

Post by beny »

Thank for the answer!
I am doing everything correctly. In the portable version, there are folders with templates, the paths to them are correct. There is a portable.txt file. I create through usbstick.exe, did a clean installation of Office and repeat the creation of Portable, but the result is the same - in C:\Users\USER\Documents\ creates folder SoftMaker with subfolders of templates, all folders are empty.
Of course, it's not so bad, but I would like these empty folders are not created :(
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Could you please provide us with a directory listing of the office folder on the USBstick?
beny

Post by beny »

In the file \SoftMaker Office Portable\SoftMaker\Settings\install.ini, the default path is stubbornly written
[Install2021]
DefaultDocumentPath=C:\Users\USER\Documents\SoftMaker\.
Changed the path to my own, now the unfortunate folders are not created. Problem solved. Thank for help!
beny

Post by beny »

Then I realized that if I delete the install.ini file, the file will be generated with the correct path when starting SoftMaker.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Thanks for letting me know. I enquired the developers if that file can be skipped when creating the USB portable version, to avoid such cases as yours.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

The next version of USBstick.exe will no longer copy the file install.ini into the USB device :)
beny

Post by beny »

miguel-c wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:57 pm The next version of USBstick.exe will no longer copy the file install.ini into the USB device :)
Great! Thank! :thumbsup:
beny

Post by beny »

In the last rev S1038.1028 this bug is fixed, the portable version now does not create these folders.
Thank!
beny

Post by beny »

Perhaps I was inattentive earlier, but the described bug is still present in rev S1044, rev S1050, rev S1060.
The first solution is to delete the install.ini file. The first run of the program will generate a new install.ini with the correct path to the folder with the templates in the folder of the portable version, and empty folders in the place of the previous location are not created.
The second solution is to completely clear the contents of the install.ini file and set its attribute to "Read Only".
Or leave in file only strings of languages available in your Office Portable:
[Install2021]
fr=Installed
us=Installed
And set its attribute to "Read Only".
Now SMO Portable won't create empty trash folders if you move or rename its folder.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your feedback. Please uninstall SoftMaker Office completely, download the updated revision from our website, install it and then create a fresh Portable version using this fresh installation.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”