Table of Contents - Updating resets defaults

Steven Tagawa

Table of Contents - Updating resets defaults

Post by Steven Tagawa »

Like the subject line says: Whenever I update the Table of Contents in my document, it wipes out any formatting I've applied (font, font size, color, etc.) as well as all of the options (the number of levels to display, etc.). It basically replaces my existing Table of Contents with a new one that has all the default options and formatting. The only thing I can do is generate a new Table of Contents, re-setting all of the options the way I want them, and then re-apply the formatting I want to the results. Which is a bit of a pain.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Table of Contents - Updating resets defaults

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. But currently this feature is not there, so I have forwarded this feature request to our developers team.

Meanwhile, I suggest please update Table of Content on finishing of the document so that you will have to less format it again.
RKanarek

Re: Table of Contents - Updating resets defaults

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings,

Note that I'm not an expert, I am not an SM employee, and I have not tested any of the following. I'm just trying to be helpful. (It's a good thing I'm so used to failure. ;-))

It isn't clear to me whether the formatting changes you wish to make are to individual bits of text in a TOC (e.g., adding italics to an individual word, etc.) or to complete parts of the TOC. Just in case you desire the latter, and just in case you (or some other reader) weren't already aware of it, the formatting of each part of the TOC is controlled by a corresponding paragraph style.
SM 2021 - TextMaker - TOC Formatting - Annotated.png
As far as controlling the display/inclusion of TOC levels, doesn't the menu displayed by the [Tools]-> [Generate table of contents ...] dialog give you that option? Also, if you want to do something extremely tricky, I assume you can control what is or isn't considered eligible to even be a TOC entry by adjusting the "Outline level" of your paragraph styles. A paragraph style with an outline of zero won't be considered for inclusion in a TOC (though I think TM's side panel document map commingles "proper" headings, headings with outline levels of zero, and non-"heading" text with elevated outline levels).

If this was helpful, your welcome! If it wasn't, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Cordially,
Richard

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”