(Abandon all hope?) Seeking multi-lingual thesaurus online.

ecbritz

(Abandon all hope?) Seeking multi-lingual thesaurus online.

Post by ecbritz »

The thesaurus / synonyms facility in Textmaker 2021 works quite well, for the limited number of languages supported. If you need more writing enrichment information of this nature, you could buy Euroglot, an excellent, highly recommended, but rather pricey translating / thesaurus program focused on English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch. I.e. the same languages supported by Softmaker's thesauri. I used to have the multi-lingual thesaurus found at http://www.majstro.com/Web/Majstro/home.php at my disposal -- serving a considerable number of languages. But Majstro seems to have retired, perhaps even closed shop. Is there any other online multi-language thesaurus currently available? It would be fantastic if Google Translate could offer more synonyms, that would really solve my problem.
Last edited by ecbritz on Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
ecbritz

Re: (Abandon all hope?) Seeking multi-lingual thesaurus online.

Post by ecbritz »

Euroglot offers parallel synonyms. For instance, if you look up the English word "huge", you see the synonyms of "huge" in English and -- if you bought the German component -- the word "huge" translated into German plus its synonyms available in German. To a translator this function is invaluable, because synonyms usually differ slightly or in a subtle way in terms of what they mean, imply or suggest in a given context. Softmaker 2021's new "research assistance" can't be taken very seriously. But if the dictionary / thesaurus facilities can be developed to provide for instance parallel synonyms, its language support would outscore all other office suites significantly.

In the meantime, Textmaker's existing thesaurus function is not to be sniffed at because you can in fact produce two or more sets of synonyms by simply changing the language in the "language window". You have to know the translation of the word you want synonyms of, however. For instance, you have to know that "small" in English is "klein" in German. Then, with some difficulty, you can produce two sets of synonyms.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”