Bug in S1018.0818 version? (SOLVED)

ecbritz

Bug in S1018.0818 version? (SOLVED)

Post by ecbritz »

I attach a new document, written with the new version of Textmaker (TextMaker Professional 2021 (rev S1018.0818) 64bit), in which the automatic superscription of "th", "rd", "st" etc did not happen. Should I adjust some setting?
Attachments
The 3rd day.docx
(12.15 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Last edited by ecbritz on Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Bug in S1018.0818 version?

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing the document. This automatic superscription mechanism of "th", "rd", "st" etc works only in English but as I checked the language of your text in the attached document is Afrikaans due to which it's not working.
ecbritz

Re: Bug in S1018.0818 version?

Post by ecbritz »

Thanks for your advice. It solved my problem although it might be misunderstood by someone following this thread.

This is the way I understood you, after giving the matter some thought:

The language used in a document does not determine the automatic superscription of "st", "th" & "rd". But if you use a template with English as the default language setting, automatic superscription will be enabled where "st", "th" or "rd" is typed directly after a number, e.g. "3rd".

If the default language of the template used is set to for instance Dutch or Afrikaans, automatic superscription will not happen. But if you select text in that same document and choose English as the language of the selected text, automatic superscription will indeed happen. (To change the language setting of selected text you use the small "Change language" window in the menu bar.) I tried German as language of a selected text fragment but no automatic superscription occurred.

There is a very simple and compelling reason for all this: Only English uses "st", "th" & "rd" etc in this way, as far as I know. In German "3rd" is "dritte" and in French it's "troisième". There is no similar "Kürzung" for "dritte" as far as I know. Although, wait! ... there ARE shortenings, for instance "3. April" and "Der 4. Mann" (in German) or in French "3 avril" and "le 4ème homme".

To put it in a nutshell: There is no bug -- but instead intelligent thinking on the part of Softmaker.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”