How To Change Default Font & Size?

CChamp

How To Change Default Font & Size?

Post by CChamp »

Hi all, when I open Textmaker the font is set to Times New Roman and the size at 10, with Planmaker it is Arial 10. Is there a way to change both the defaults to Arial 12? Thanks in advance for the help.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: How To Change Default Font & Size?

Post by SuperTech »

Yes, for this you have to edit the default templates for both the applications. Just open the template file, change font size from 10 to 12, save and close the file.

You can find the templates in the Documents/SoftMaker folder depending on the language of the installation.

For PlanMaker it's ..\Documents\SoftMaker\PlanMaker 2021 templates\English (US)\Normal.pmvx and for TextMaker it's ..\Documents\SoftMaker\TextMaker 2021 templates\English (US)\Normal.tmvx

Thanks
CChamp

Post by CChamp »

I must be doing something wrong because I went to planmaker and did what you said, named it Normal, saved and closed, and when I started up Planmaker again it was back to 10 font. Seems to me it would be easier to have it a setting like other office programs.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

You don't have to name any document as normal. Let me provide steps again for you:
1. Open PlanMaker/TextMaker.
2. Open template file which is located in your Documents folder with this path:

For PlanMaker it's Documents\SoftMaker\PlanMaker 2021 templates\English (US)\Normal.pmvx
For TextMaker it's Documents\SoftMaker\TextMaker 2021 templates\English (US)\Normal.tmvx

3. Change the Font Size to 12.
4. Save and close it.
5. That's it. Now, whoever you will open PlanMaker/TextMaker, the default font size will be 12.

Thanks
CChamp

Post by CChamp »

Thanks again for your help, I got it to work with Planmaker but have tried it several times with Textmaker but still won't work. Anything else that I can try?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Please send us your Documents\SoftMaker\TextMaker 2021 templates\English (US)\Normal.tmvx file so that we can check for this problem.

Thanks
CChamp

Post by CChamp »

Thank you very much.
Attachments
Normal.tmvx
(12.23 KiB) Downloaded 3384 times
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

It seems you forgot to change font size to 12 before saving this file. :)

Please check this file and you can replace your original file with this one.

Thanks
Normal.tmvx
(12.28 KiB) Downloaded 3537 times
CChamp

Post by CChamp »

Thanks again SuperTech. Hate to be such a pain. I replaced the file and it does work fine as far as the 12 font. I would also like it to be Arial instead of Times New Roman. I tried changing that as per your instructions but again it will not keep it as Arial. Could you please fix it to "Arial 12" and send the file to me again? Not sure why mine won't save it correctly. Thanks again, sorry for the hassle.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

This is the correct way to do it: https://www.softmaker.com/en/tips-textmaker
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
CChamp

Post by CChamp »

That did it. =D> Now when I start Textmaker, it for a split second shows Times New Roman 12 then changes to Arial 12. I can live with that but does that sound normal for it to show TNR first then go to Arial? Thanks a bunch again.
ecbritz

Post by ecbritz »

Please note that I use the traditional Textmaker interface. So I refer to this interface when I try to explain a Textmaker operation. Not sure if the explanation will be clear to users of the new interface. It might.

You can set or change the default font and font size (e.g. Arial 12) used by any particular template without necessarily going to the folder on your computer where the templates are stored.

Once you have selected this particular template to be your default template, the preferred font and font size (e.g. Arial 12) will be pre-selected every time you start Textmaker.

You can set or change the default font and font size also, alternatively, by simply starting Textmaker and then following these steps:

1. First open a new document (File > New).

2. Then select the template you want to work with and/or change.

(There is a folder containing templates called "English US" shown when I do File > New on my own computer. Open this folder -- e.g."English US" -- to see the available templates.)

3. You might, for instance, choose to work on the template called "NormalA4". The extended filename of this template is "NormalA4.tmvx", should you ever want to find it in the folder on your computer where the templates are stored.

4. When you double-click on the template "NormalA4", Textmaker will open a new document ruled by the template "NormalA4".

5. Now do Format > Paragraph Style.

6. In the Paragraph Style settings box that follows, click on "Edit".

7. In the Paragraph Style settings box that follows next, click on "Character".

8. In the Character settings box that follows, select the font and font size you want as your default font & font size for the template "NormalA4", e.g. Arial 12.

9. Next, click on "OK" twice until you are back in the initial Paragraph Style settings box. Here you click on "Apply". This step will return you to the blank Textmaker document page you started with.

10. The next step is to save the blank document as a template. Save the file with the "File name" NormalA4. "Save as type" choosing Template (*.tmvx)

11. If you proceed by selecting NormalA4 as your default template, you will always have all settings made for NormalA4 pre-selected and waiting for you when you start Textmaker.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
ecbritz

Post by ecbritz »

The procedure to change the default font & font size given above does work. But I have taken a look at the advice given by Martin-K earlier on and must admit that his procedure is quicker, thus better.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
rugerboy58

Post by rugerboy58 »

I have tried everything listed above and cannot change the template.
When I try to set as default it says it cannot open "normal template".
Is there something else I can do?
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Yes, go to File | Open | Documents\SoftMaker\TextMaker 2024 templates\Your Language here\Normal.tmvx or Normal A4.tmvx
Change your font size in that template and then save it.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”