Check for Updates Doesn't

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
PeterMc

Check for Updates Doesn't

Post by PeterMc »

Check for Updates says "It was not possible to establish a connection to softmaker.com." My version is "TextMaker 2021 (rev S1046.0405) 64bit". Turning off firewall doesn't help. TextMaker can access the internet ok; eg, hyperlinks work.

My licence (NX subscription) seems current.

I tried using Help->Support, but it couldn't send an email.
Peter McLennan
Dell Axim X51v, Windows Mobile 5, Dell (Think Outside) keyboard, 4GB SD card
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Check for Updates Doesn't

Post by SuperTech »

SoftMaker Office uses the system internet connection. Start Internet Explorer (and not any other browser) to check and make sure you can browse from there.

Alternatively, please download the full software and install it over the current installation which will update your current software and will resolve this update-related problem.

SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows (64-bit)
PeterMc

Post by PeterMc »

I reinstalled, and it still 'was not possible to establish a connection to softmaker.com' even though links in documents work fine.

I turned off my firewall and antivirus, and still nothing.

As a result, I can't know when updates are available, and I have to download a whole new suite whenever I notice.

It would be nice if the error message was a bit more informative.
Peter McLennan
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

SuperTech wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:06 pm Start Internet Explorer (and not any other browser) to check and make sure you can browse from there.
Thanks for reinstallation, but did you try this step?
PeterMc

Post by PeterMc »

iexplore.png
Peter McLennan
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

PeterMc wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:53 am I turned off my firewall and antivirus, and still nothing.
Please let us know which firewall and antivirus software you are using? Sometimes, it blocks network traffic even when it's disabled. Please try to uninstall your firewall and antivirus, then try after system restart.
Angelina

Post by Angelina »

Did you find the solution to this problem of "It was not possible to establish a connection to softmaker.com."
I'm having this problem now and I'm desperate how to solve this as I cannot use Textmaker's other features without a connection.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

This is some problem in the connection/some blockage on operating system/network/security level which we have to troubleshoot on your computer only.

Please let us know if you are using SoftMaker Office 2021 on any other computer also on the same computer and if you are getting updates there?

You can also try to disable antivirus /firewall and restart computer in safe mode with networking.
PeterMc

Post by PeterMc »

Angelina wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:53 am Did you find the solution to this problem of "It was not possible to establish a connection to softmaker.com."
I'm having this problem now and I'm desperate how to solve this as I cannot use Textmaker's other features without a connection.
In my case, it was an obscure firewall rule that blocked the updater only. Web access always worked fine within TextMaker, etc. If links, etc, don't work in TextMaker, then your problem is different to mine. It could be a different firewall rule, though.
Peter McLennan
Angelina

Post by Angelina »

Thanks for the info.
In my case, these features are inacessible:updates, Translate,Smart Chat. Dictionaries are fine;brings me to the web anytime.
All these features were working right after installation but stopped just a few days ago.
I looked at the Windows Defender Firewall settings, but alas this problem is outside my expertise!
I was thinking Softmaker Support Team can suggest ways to solve this problem, but they only tell me it's the firewall settings. Wonder until when I can keep this software without any expert support...
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Angelina wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:38 am Thanks for the info.
In my case, these features are inaccessible: updates, Translate,Smart Chat. Dictionaries are fine;brings me to the web anytime.
All these features were working right after installation but stopped just a few days ago.
I looked at the Windows Defender Firewall settings, but alas this problem is outside my expertise!
I was thinking SoftMaker Support Team can suggest ways to solve this problem, but they only tell me it's the firewall settings. Wonder until when I can keep this software without any expert support...
Do you have any antivirus besides Windows Defender? Some antivirus are also firewalls.
If so, please disable it. If not, please disable Windows firewall for a quick minute so you can check if the problem is in it or not.
If the problem goes away when you disable the firewall, then re-enable the firewall and create a rule that allows all outgoing connections from TextMaker.exe.

You could also check if the problem is not related to your internet connection by sharing your phone's mobile data to your computer via the phone's hotspot functionality.
PeterMc

Post by PeterMc »

miguel-c wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:41 pm ...create a rule that allows all outgoing connections from TextMaker.exe.
I originally did that and it didn't help. Much later, I discovered that there are more executables than TextMaker.exe that want to use the internet (eg, the updater). Perhaps some of the other features also rely on additional executables that would need their own rules (or a wildcard).
Peter McLennan

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows (General)”