Strange taskbar issue

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
seasidepb

Strange taskbar issue

Post by seasidepb »

The installation on my Surface Go 2 has developed a strange problem. I usually open documents by right clicking on the Textmaker/Planmaker (etc) icon on the taskbar, but lately when I do this the app opens, and the "computer busy" circle spins and then stops and the document itself hasn't opened. But once the app is actually open, I can launch documents as normal from a taskbar right click, or any or the other usual ways. I've tried reinstalling the suite, and as far as I can recall there haven't been any Windows updates lately to cause a change (I am running W11 v22621.160, which I know is only technically a release candidate, but I think it all seemed to be up and running and fine and this issue developed later - and all my other taskbar icons are behaving normally). Anyone else seen this and has anyone found a solution?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Strange taskbar issue

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for posting your problem. Please run TextMaker with -debug in command prompt:

Code: Select all

TextMaker.exe -debug
This creates the file tmlog.txt in Documents\SoftMaker. Post this file here or send it to forum (at) softmaker.com so that we can troubleshoot this problem. Also, share your sminfo file, which you can generate by clicking on '?' > About > Write system information.
seasidepb

Post by seasidepb »

Hi - strangely it's stopped happening on my Surface 2, but has just started happening on my main machine - after an MS system update. I'm having problems getting the command prompt to run the debug command - I have a log file from a couple of weeks ago which is attached, though I don't know if that will be any use to you. I'll send it anyway.
Attachments
tmlog.txt
(61.78 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
sminfo.txt
(21.18 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing, but old file will not help. If you are unable to find command prompt to run the command, please download and unzip this file, execute this batch file, close TextMaker after some wait and then share new tmlog.txt from opened folder.
Create tmlog.zip
(276 Bytes) Downloaded 142 times
seasidepb

Post by seasidepb »

Ok I managed finally to run the debug script. Hope it helps but of course doing this as a run command simply opens Textmaker with a blank document, which is not the problem. Textmaker opens fine with a simple click on the taskbar icon, to a blank document, but it's when I try to open an existing file with a right click on the taskbar icon that the app opens up but not the file. Same thing's happening in Planmaker, and it's happening again on my Surface Go 2 as well. I can live with it, but it's frustrating. I've also done a completely clean Windows reinstallation since I last reported the problem, and that hasn't solved it. It's true that I'm running a beta on both machines - currently Windows v 22622.590 - but if that's the problem then I guess you need to be aware of it.
Attachments
tmlog.txt
(62.53 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
sminfo.txt
(47.06 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
seasidepb

Post by seasidepb »

I can now say it's definitely a problem with the latest beta of Windows 11. I've just updated my third machine which was on the release preview to the beta insider program, and I'm now getting the same issue with the softmaker apps. There have been changes to the taskbar functionality, but whatever I hope between you and Microsoft you can sort it out.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing the additional details. We have tested this in the released version of Windows 11, and we didn't find any problem.

As you are using a Beta version of Windows 11, this seems a problem on operating system level, so please use released version of Windows 11 for better reliability and bug free environment.
seasidepb

Post by seasidepb »

It is an OS problem, but it doesn't affect the other apps I have on my taskbar, and I'm just trying to warn you that it may persist into the next released version of Win11, since that's due any day now, and will presumably be based on the code which has been causing the problem. If that's so, then a lot more people are going to have the same issue if they update their Windows.
frankbuk

Post by frankbuk »

Hi. We have the same / similar issue. We have a laptop and a desktop both running Windows. Yesterday the laptop was updated to Windows 11 (Ver 22H2, Build 22621.1265) and now when we attempt to open a .docx file from a folder view (either by double-left-click or by right-click>'Open With'), TextMaker starts but the document does not open and we see the 'waiting' circle as described by seasidepb. This does not happen with the desktop, which is still on Windows 10. On the laptop, we are able to open the document by launching TextMaker first and then using File>Open. We get the same issue whether the .docx file was created using Textmaker or some other software.
frankbuk

Post by frankbuk »

I see this is issue is being tracked else where, including at https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.p ... 754#p74754
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

We are unable to reproduce this problem. Please update your SoftMaker Office and, if required, please reinstall it with the latest download from our website.

If the problem persists, please share a screen recording of the problem with sminfo.txt file.
sambhit08

Post by sambhit08 »

I can launch documents as normal from a taskbar right click, or any or the other usual ways. I've tried reinstalling the suite, and as far as I can recall there haven't been any Windows updates lately to cause a change (I am running W11 v22621.160, which I know is only technically a release candidate, but I think it all seemed to be up and running and fine and this issue developed later - and all my other taskbar icons are behaving normally)......

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows (General)”