Bug detected

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
beny

Bug detected

Post by beny »

When selectively installing Office, for example, only Textmaker and Planmaker are installed, a folder with templates for Presentations is still created in C:\Users\USER\Documents\SoftMaker. If you delete it, it will be created again.
It is clear that when you create the portable version, the template folder for Presentations will be copied to it.

Also, each time the portable version is run, empty template folders will be created again in C:\Users\USER\Documents\SoftMaker. I described this in detail here https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=382&t=22155

I hope the developers will fix these bugs.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Bug detected

Post by SuperTech »

beny wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:15 pm When selectively installing Office, for example, only Textmaker and Planmaker are installed, a folder with templates for Presentations is still created in C:\Users\USER\Documents\SoftMaker. If you delete it, it will be created again.
It is clear that when you create the portable version, the template folder for Presentations will be copied to it.
Thanks for reporting these problems. I have forwarded this problem of extra templates to our product management...
beny wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:15 pm Also, each time the portable version is run, empty template folders will be created again in C:\Users\USER\Documents\SoftMaker. I described this in detail here https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=382&t=22155
Our developer team have fixed this problem and the solution will be included most probably in the next service pack. You will get the exact update in the mentioned forum post.
beny

Post by beny »

SuperTech wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:58 pm Our developer team have fixed this problem and the solution will be included most probably in the next service pack. You will get the exact update in the mentioned forum post.
Great! Thank!
beny

Post by beny »

In the last rev S1038.1028 this bug not fixed. For better understanding I am attaching a screenshot. During installation, I select these two components, but in the folder appears an extra folder with content. Why do I need it, I have not installed this component?
1308.png
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

The problem fixed by our team is related to portable version. This one is not fixed till now.
beny

Post by beny »

Found another problem with the portable version, also related to the creation of unnecessary folders. Model the situation this way:
1\ create the portable version in the directory D:\SO 1040\ and run TextMaker, work and close. Remember, this was the first run of the portable version.
2\Move, exactly move the \SO 1040\ folder to D:\Portable\SO 1040\ directory. Now the folder D:\SO 1040\ does not exist. Launch TextMaker, close it.
3\ Check D:\ directory, you will be surprised to find that the \SO 1040\ folder with empty template subfolders is back there.
4\ If the first run was from another directory E:\ and then the SO was moved, empty folders will be created in the E:\ directory.
5\ If the "illegal" folder is deleted, it will be created again.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Portable version is basically to make a USB stick with SoftMaker Office for portability and not designed to install it in different directories/ drivers of your computer's fixed hard drive. :)

When you make SoftMaker Office's USB stick, all directories are same on first and upcoming use.

For installation on your computer's hard drive, please use our full installable version.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

SuperTech wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:52 pm Portable version is basically to make a USB stick with SoftMaker Office for portability and not designed to install it in different directories/ drivers of your computer's fixed hard drive. :)
That's completely logical, of course. However, in defense of beny, I'll just mention that on more than one occasion I have installed a portable version of a program on my desktop computer rather than the standard version purely for the reason that the portable version doesn't clutter up my computer's registry with entries that often are not cleaned out if/when I remove the program. In fact, when considering freeware, I specifically look for and prefer programs that offer a portable version -- just for that reason.
Last edited by Woody44 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beny

Post by beny »

SuperTech wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:52 pm Portable version is basically to make a USB stick with SoftMaker Office for portability and not designed to install it in different directories/ drivers of your computer's fixed hard drive. :)
This is an excuse not to fix the bug in the program? :roll: Besides, such a profound thought has visited the developers only in v2021, because in v2018 the described bug does not exist.
There are no technical or legal obstacles to use a portable version located on a non-system partition of your hard drive. Note that users like SO among other things because of the possibility to use the portable version instead of the installed one. Installed - created Portable - uninstalled.
Please fix this obvious bug. Although you haven't fixed the bugs I identified earlier yet either.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Just to be sure I understand you: You are moving around directories after installation and then complain that SoftMaker Office tries to re-create the folders in their original place?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
beny

Post by beny »

Installed Softmaker (TM+PM only), created a portable version in directory D:\1\.
Uninstalled Softmaker, the portable version works fine.
I moved the portable version to D:\2\ and delete folder D:\1\, it works fine, but created D:\1\SoftMaker\ folder with empty subfolders "PlanMaker 2021 templates", "Presentations 2021 designs" (but I didn't install Presentations), "TextMaker 2021 templates", "Bullets".
I delete folder D:\1\SoftMaker\, but next time when start any Office application, the folder will be created again.
I move the portable version to D:\33\, and the folder D:\1\SoftMaker\ will be created again the next time when launch SO :)
beny

Post by beny »

The only correct solution now is to first place SO Portable in the final working directory like D:\Portable Files\SoftMaker Office Portable\ and only from it perform the first run. Then "illegal" folders in other directories will not be created.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

beny wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:02 am The only correct solution now is to first place SO Portable in the final working directory like D:\Portable Files\SoftMaker Office Portable\ and only from it perform the first run.
Thanks for sharing the solution. :thumbsup:
dhakdhak96

Post by dhakdhak96 »

Portable version is basically to make a USB stick with SoftMaker Office for portability and not designed to install it in different directories/ drivers of your computer's fixed hard drive. :)

19216811.bid
panorama charter com
Last edited by dhakdhak96 on Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Basically, yes. But it works the way beny described it nevertheless.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows (General)”