Can you retrieve (open) Textmaker files saved at a Cloud storage site when you are working offline?

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
ecbritz

Can you retrieve (open) Textmaker files saved at a Cloud storage site when you are working offline?

Post by ecbritz »

I went offline and tried to retrieve (open) files saved with Textmaker at various Cloud storage sites. To my surprise, I could in most cases open the text files (e.g. .docx files). This is important because saving files in the Cloud might mean that you can't open and work on them offline, unless you purposefully saved a copy accessible offline. Can you really retrieve (open) Textmaker files saved at a Cloud storage site when you are working offline?

I want to add that when I save a file online at a Cloud storage site, with Textmaker, a backup copy is automatically saved to the folder on my computer created or selected for backup copies. The default folder for backup copies is located at C:\Users\User\Documents\SoftMaker\Backup\.

Is this the answer to my question why I could open .docx files saved at a Cloud storage site while working offline? Its really important to know the implications of moving one's file store to a drive located on the internet.
Last edited by ecbritz on Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Can you retrieve (open) Textmaker files saved at a Cloud storage site when you are working offline?

Post by SuperTech »

As you explained very well how to work on cloud files =D> in the below mentioned forum:
https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=381&t=20445

You installed cloud software like Dropbox, OneDrive or Box etc, these software programs actually gives you the option to save files online only or save offline copies of cloud storage so that you can work on them offline and whenever you will go online, these software programs will synchronize the files.
ecbritz

Re: Can you retrieve (open) Textmaker files saved at a Cloud storage site when you are working offline?

Post by ecbritz »

Thanks for the information. I confirm that If I go offline the text- and other files in "Box Drive" (and in all other, available Cloud "drives") can indeed be opened and edited as if I am dealing with normal offline folders. Somehow these files remain available without connection to the internet. The logical explanation is of course that they were copied to my computer by my Cloud "drive" programs.
I created "portals" on my desktop to the various locations where my files are now stored. For a while there should be less clutter on my desktop. As the admirable new order on my desktop will not last long, I attach a screenshot of my "portals" for your applause.
Searching for a file in a very large file store can be a challenge. I use the search facilities provided by Windows 10, the folder names to find the relevant folder and the default program settings, to narrow down the search. I am curious how a good file-search program like Copernic would handle files stored in the Cloud...
Attachments
Filestore.jpg
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows (General)”