Solved: What happened to Thunderbird?

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
ecbritz

Post by ecbritz »

The first thing I did when I bought Softmaker 2016 and later Softmaker 2018, was to uninstall Thunderbird. I had no desire to use this email "client" -- if this is what email service providers are called. Thunderbird probably made it possible to send email directly from Softmaker. Now that Thunderbird seems to have flown away, I wonder how Softmaker 2021 handles email written with Textmaker ... or whatever Thunderbird used to do or facilitate.
Last edited by ecbritz on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: What happened to Thunderbird?

Post by SuperTech »

To send emails Thunderbird is not required as SoftMaker Office will use your default email client like Outlook.
ecbritz

Post by ecbritz »

Thanks.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
Hook

Re: Solved: What happened to Thunderbird?

Post by Hook »

Also, I should point out that Thunderbird still works great (for the same reason Outlook does). It was never heavily integrated into Softmaker Office, although they did a skin job on it and supplied a couple of plugins, I believe. It was mostly just a convenience that they provided it with SMO 16 and 18, but Thunderbird still works fine. (I moved to SMO specifically so I could get away from MS Office and Outlook).
josephrot
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Solved: What happened to Thunderbird?

Post by josephrot »

Reply to Hook and All...

RE: << Also, I should point out that Thunderbird still works great (for the same reason Outlook does).>>

Hopefully this implies that Thunderbird users can still "link" the likes of SMO 2021 and TextMaker 2021 to their existing Thunderbird installation, or email client.

RE: << It was never heavily integrated into Softmaker Office, although they did a skin job on it and supplied a couple of plugins, I believe. It was mostly just a convenience that they provided it with SMO 16 and 18, but Thunderbird still works fine. >>

One major problem was that I used Mozilla-installed Thunderbird for years, but when I installed SMO 2018, it "ignored" my Installer setting that told SMO to NOT Update or install Thunderbird as I already used the Mozilla Thunderbird.

Well, as one might guess, SMO 2018 Installer OVERWROTE my existing Mozilla-installed Thunderbird installation, and I spent the better part of three months rebuilding my Thunderbird email system.

The SMO 2018 Installer didn't delete my existing emails and TBird folders, but it blanked part of the installed system with file and folder pointers, and wiped my Mozilla-installed Tbird Accounts information...it was a nightmare, as I had to rebuild without losing or destroying more of the Mozilla-installed TBird system, etc..

RE: << (I moved to SMO specifically so I could get away from MS Office and Outlook). >>

Similar situation and reasoning here.

Joseph Rotello
WindowGroup
Knoxville, TN
USA
Windows 7 and 10 Pro 64bit | Intel Multi Core i5 3.46gHz | 8GB DDR3 | 1GB Nvidia GTX-650SP @ 1152x864 | ASUS | SoftMaker Office 2021, 2018 and 2016 user

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows (General)”