Installing SoftMaker Office 2021

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
Diamond_Lil

Installing SoftMaker Office 2021

Post by Diamond_Lil »

I have SoftMaker Office 2018. I am thinking of purchasing SoftMaker Office 2021. Do I need to uninstall Office 2018 before installing Office 2021. Thank you.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Installing SoftMaker Office 2021

Post by Jossi »

No, both versions of the program can exist side by side.
Diamond_Lil

Post by Diamond_Lil »

Thank you so much for your quick reply.
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings,
I have a few installation questions of my own. It seemed reasonable to tack them onto this thread, but feel free to move them if you think it best.

Background: I have already purchased my upgrade to SMOP 2021, but I’ve been hesitant to install it. From 2002 forward, I always installed SMO so as to replace the per-existing version, such is my faith in Softmaker. Up until 2018, my faith was proven correct: every version was better than the previous one, and no new version caused new problems. SMO 2018, however, was not as flawless as I had come to expect. As I’m currently beset by work and problems, both of which require my use of SMO, I’m therefore hesitant to install SMO 2021.

Questions:
If I install SMO 2021 in addition to SMO 2018, and if SMO 2021 were to work swell, is removing SMO 2018 just a matter of using “Uninstall or change a program” at “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features”, or is there a better/alternate way? And, if I were to uninstall 2018, would “Softmaker Equation Editor” get removed with it? (I use SEE, and I’d hate to have it disappear from 2021 and my computer because it was removed by SMO 2018’s uninstall program.)
My recollection is that recent SMOs vomit a slew of fonts into one’s computer during the install process. Does the 2021 install program allow one to select if fonts are installed or which fonts are installed? If not, does anyone have any thoughts as to how I could preserve my current font installation? (I’m currently running Windows 7.)

Cordially,
Richard
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

As your questions are related to SoftMaker Office 2021 installations this topic is correct. If you uninstall SoftMaker Office 2018 after installation of SoftMaker Office 2021 then you have to do repair installation/reinstallation of SoftMaker Office 2021. Otherwise, first, uninstall SoftMaker Office 2018 and after system restart install SoftMaker Office 2021.

SoftMaker Office 2021 installation doesn't remove any pre-installed fonts from your computer but if you want you can take a backup of your fonts before installation of SoftMaker Office 2021. You can do this by copying all the font files from the Fonts folder of the control panel to some other location.

Thanks
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Dear SuperTech,

Thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that the idea of treating Windoze's font sub-directory as if it were just an ordinary directory was "nicht wahr" and the practice "verboten". (Look at me, I'm bilingual! ;-) Would you happen to know if SMO 2021's installer asks if it should install fonts or if it just does so. If the latter, perhaps you could suggest that font installation be optional with future installers.

Thanks again.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

SoftMaker Office 2021 installer doesn't ask for any customization of the fonts and it installs fonts as it's an Office software so fonts installation is required. I have forwarded this request for the future to our product management...

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows (General)”