Keyboard input disabled by adjusting template: Textmaker 2021 text window remains blank

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
ecbritz

Keyboard input disabled by adjusting template: Textmaker 2021 text window remains blank

Post by ecbritz »

I made adjustments to my default Textmaker 2021 template. Afterwards, I could not type text into my text window any longer. The text window remains blank; it does not respond to keyboard input. I tried a "Repair" installation of Softmaker 2021 and also a fresh installation after uninstalling the program completely. To no avail; the text window remains blank. How do I solve this problem? I notice that there are two Softmaker 2021 files in my Appdata/Roaming folder. Should I delete these two files before I try to install Softmaker 2021 again?

May I add that my keyboard functions normally in all other programs on my computer.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Keyboard input disabled by adjusting template: Textmaker 2021 text window remains blank

Post by Jossi »

This is just a guess, but could it be that you changed inadvertently into Object mode?
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Keyboard input disabled by adjusting template: Textmaker 2021 text window remains blank

Post by martin-k »

... or, if the caret is still flashing, activated "Hidden" or "Protected" character formatting?

Upload the template for us to check.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
ecbritz

Post by ecbritz »

Thanks very much for your prompt feedback.

The only way I could fix the problem of the Textmaker 2021 text window not responding to keyboard input, was by doing the following:

1. I uninstalled Softmaker 2021 deleting every possible remnant of the program I could find, using the program RevoUninstaller. (Deleting Softmaker 2021 from the Control Panel of Windows 10 would probably have worked just as well.)

2. I then deleted the Softmaker folder with all of its files, including the templates, from my Documents folder.

3. Following that, I went to the Appdata/Roaming folder and deleted the Softmaker folder there, with all of its contents.
(To locate the Appdata/Roaming folder, type %Appdata% into the Cortana "Type here to search" bar. Enter %Appdata% but be careful what you delete from the Appdata/Roaming folder.)

Next, I reinstalled Softmaker 2021. The "total erasure" did the trick. I could and can again type text into my text window. No other problems encountered up to now.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
ecbritz

Post by ecbritz »

This incident showed that "complete erasure" of Softmaker 2021 -- including deletion of the settings stored in the appdata/roaming folder -- might be necessary in some cases where the program won't perform normally. Unless I accidentally switched to Object Mode thus disabling keyboard text input, and only needed to switch back to the normal editing mode. It is also possible that I neglected to do the Windows registry operation required after changing the settings of a template. I suppose that could cause a problem difficult to solve. In the past, with another Office program, erasure of the settings stored in the appdata/roaming folder always enabled me to do a perfectly clean re-installation with all mistakes made by me swept under the carpet.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

SoftMaker Office stores all the settings in the Documents/SoftMaker folder. So, if you will close SoftMaker Office, delete this folder and then open TextMaker, that will refresh all the settings and it will be the same as a new installation.

Thanks
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings,

I think I've had a similar problem about three times in the last 18 years. Each time, including the last time (which was about three weeks ago), the problem occurred because, as Mr. Kotulla mentioned, the paragraph's character property had become "protected." The last time this occurred was after my fingers had gone astray whilst I was typing, so I figured-out the problem almost immediately. How I managed to change the character's property accidentally -- which is rather a neat trick -- remains both mysterious and miraculous.

Except for once when I became unable to use Softmaker's equation editor with Softmaker's office products, I don't think I've ever had to reinstall Softmaker Office. Generally all the versions of SMO have been reliable and trouble-free. The only serious problems I have with Textmaker are with people ignoring or refusing to comply with the missives it generates, not with its ability to generate them. If only SoftMaker could do something about this. ;-)

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows (General)”