Editing a document written in a different language

Forum for the beta test of TextMaker 2021 for Linux
mgrinsven

Editing a document written in a different language

Post by mgrinsven » Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 pm

I am Dutch and i have set TextMaker to use Dutch, but also to include the English templates.
I have a doc file that is written in English. When opening the status bar says the language is English(US)
There is a picture in the document and i want to add a caption. When i do, the caption is written in Dutch. I would have expected this to be English.
I cannot seem to find a way to change this behavior without changing the user interface language. When changing the user interface language to English, the caption is in English.

Creating a new Document with one of the English templates, is working as it should. Is there a way to change this behavior in existing documents?
Attachments
pubform.doc
(47 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Editing a document written in a different language

Post by martin-k » Fri May 15, 2020 2:07 pm

These names are stored in the document and, by extension, in the document template. That's why we offer English templates, so that you can start an English document by basing it on an English template.

If you don't like that, you can go to the Insert caption dialog and create different labels, using whatever language or words you like.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

mgrinsven

Post by mgrinsven » Fri May 15, 2020 2:31 pm

martin-k wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:07 pm
These names are stored in the document and, by extension, in the document template. That's why we offer English templates, so that you can start an English document by basing it on an English template.

If you don't like that, you can go to the Insert caption dialog and create different labels, using whatever language or words you like.
Ok then i have to manually adding a different label.
But still if i open the attached document when the UI is set to English, the inserted caption is in english. When the UI is set to Dutch, the caption is in Dutch. So it is not set in the document / template only.

Set to Dutch:
dutch_ui.png
Set to English:
english_ui.png
But anyway it feels strange like this. Or perhaps it is because of the old doc format.

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c » Sun May 24, 2020 11:24 am

Yes, the old DOC format doesn't support saving those settings in it, so TextMaker takes the values from the current UI language.

Return to “BETA TextMaker 2021 for Linux”