Does Office 21 prevent one from overwriting newer versions?

Forum for the beta test of SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux
vtpoet

Does Office 21 prevent one from overwriting newer versions?

Post by vtpoet » Thu May 14, 2020 4:05 pm

This isn't something I can test yet, because I can't get 21 to install properly, but one of the reasons I largely switched from Office 18 to Googledocs was because of the cloud.

To put it simply: If I was working on Document A from System 1 & 2, SO18 would (incorrectly) allow me to overwrite newer changes with an older version of Doc A. In other words, if I made changes to Doc A on System 1 and saved them to the cloud, System 2 could overwrite those changes, without warning, with an older version of Doc A and would do it automatically and immediately (if set to autosave). This happened enough times that I switched to Googledocs and makes SO more or less unusable when using multiple systems on a single cloud document. Was this remedied in SO21 or is this something I need to test?

Also, after 2 years I'm guessing that Softmaker has written off tmdx for Android?

vtpoet

Re: Does Office 21 prevent one from overwriting newer versions?

Post by vtpoet » Fri May 15, 2020 10:52 pm

I guess, based on the total radio silence of the last 24 hours, that Office 21 will still overwrite newer files without warning; and tmdx compatibility in Android is still where it was 2 years ago.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri May 15, 2020 10:58 pm

I am not sure I understand your question. SoftMaker Office for Linux doesn't have any built-in cloud file handling, so it would really on whatever drivers you have installed on the system level to provide cloud access. And when it detects that a file exists already, a Save as would of course ask if you want to overwrite it.

A new Android version will be available later this year. Yes, it was a long time in coming.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

vtpoet

Post by vtpoet » Sun May 17, 2020 12:31 am

//I am not sure I understand your question. SoftMaker Office for Linux doesn't have any built-in cloud file handling...//

If I was working on one file, on the cloud, with two instances of SO18 (one on Windows and one on Linux let's say), then SO18, on either platform, would overwrite any newer changes made to the file on the opposing platform. I remember describing this two years ago. This should be a very simple bug to fix. Simply force Softmaker to check if the file is newer than the last "saved" version. This means softmaker has to remember the last time a document was saved. Without this feature, and if SO is set to autosave, any changes made on one platform will be overwritten without confirmation on the other.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sun May 17, 2020 8:32 am

1. Do you know any desktop application that does this? I think if that was a concern, it should be handled by the cloud, not by the applications.

2. Autosave never overwrites the original file.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

vtpoet

Post by vtpoet » Sun May 17, 2020 11:39 pm

//1. Do you know any desktop application that does this? //

Is there a reason why desktop applications shouldn't do this?

//2. Autosave never overwrites the original file.//

What I can tell you is that having a file open in one of two clients overwrote the newer changes made by the other client. It did this without actively "saving" the file. I assumed it was autosave. But if not autosave, then some other feature.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon May 18, 2020 7:52 am

1. Desktop applications (at least SoftMaker Office and Microsoft Office) keep files open while you edit them to prevent others from opening the same file and working on it). This works for files that are on your local storage or a network drive. But cloud files are outside the realm of accessibility for desktop applications. Some file system driver (gvfs?) downloads them to a temp folder on your local drive and then presents them to the applications as if they were normal files. That copy has no connection to the cloud. When you save it, gvfs uploads it. We have no control over that.

2. You did a manual save.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

vtpoet

Post by vtpoet » Mon May 18, 2020 2:39 pm

1.) What I'm essentially asking for is the ability to co-author. MS Word (both online and off-line desktop versions) are capable of this functionality.

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 2D26F564A4

Maybe this is a feature that SO simply can't reproduce. I don't know. I tried using SO18 with Dropbox. I would conscientiously save the latest version of Doc A to Dropbox on one platform, then open it up on platform B. But, for whatever reason...

2.) ... SO on platform B sometimes reverted to the older version and overwrote the newer Dropbox version. And no, it wasn't because I manually saved the document.

But if the feature is not a possibility anyway, then there's no reason to sort out what caused this conflict.

To be clear, I really like Softmaker Office and recommend it. It's the best cross platform Office Suite available. Hands down. I use it when finalizing drafts and manuscripts, but do most of my actual writing with Googledocs (with all its limitations) because I know that there's almost no risk that I'll lose information because of conflicting time stamps.

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:19 pm

Thanks for your suggestion . I have forwarded this request to our product management...

Return to “BETA SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux (General)”