Final Version

Forum for the beta test of SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows
forman3

Final Version

Post by forman3 » Wed May 06, 2020 2:51 pm

I just installed the public beta version. Do you know if this is the last Beta version? And when the final release is issued, will our product key work on the final version?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Final Version

Post by martin-k » Wed May 06, 2020 2:53 pm

This is the first public beta. It is likely there will be another before release.

SoftMaker Office 2021 will be available for purchase when the beta ends, and your beta product key will time out shortly after that.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

forman3

Post by forman3 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:16 pm

Hi, Martin

Most publishers offer their beta testers the finished product as a thank you for being beta testers. Some do so based on the amount a tester participated as opposed to someone who signed up and never actually did anything. But I have not seen a publisher who said that the beta testers had to buy the product. In my case, I already have and Office Suite here at work. But I do actually use SoftMaker at home for word processing. My version works well and does what I need it to do. But SoftMaker should definitely consider giving active beta testers a license key. Just my two cents. I have beta tested QuickBooks (probably 8 annual versions), TurboTax (several versions), TimeSlips and some early Windows XP database stuff.

Jeff

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu May 07, 2020 10:45 pm

We will discuss this, but so far we haven't done that.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth » Fri May 29, 2020 1:11 am

When the beta was first made publically available, that was the first thing that I asked as I do not work for nothing. I was told that there would not be any concessions for beta testers so I decided not to bother testing.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Fri May 29, 2020 1:11 pm

That's up to you, of course. But getting a (more) bugfree product because beta testers found unknown issues beforehand is not "nothing", in my opinion.

DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth » Fri May 29, 2020 5:29 pm

I have done and do a LOT of beta testing. Softmaker is the only one that does not remunerate/reward its testers.
Softmaker and its shareholders benefit from the free testing.

software_junky

Post by software_junky » Fri May 29, 2020 11:42 pm

I found some minor issues that should be addressed before the final version is released.

Platform: Dell Inspiron 24—5459
Total Physical Memory: 11.9 GB
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.18363, Build 18363
  • If you cut'n paste from another app, like copying from a web browser to your document, textMaker will prepend a space.
  • The table of contents in basicMaker is unprotected. It's easy to change the table of contents and not be able to find your topic in the future.
  • I wasn't able to find a way to change the font size on the ribbon. If you have a tiny screen, there should be a way to adjust this without changing the system font.
  • Moving highlighted text doesn't adjust spacing or reposition punctuation. For example, moving a word from the middle of a sentence to the end of the sentence won't reposition the period after the word.
Overall, I liked SoftMaker Office because of its small footprint. I keep a copy of FreeOffice on a thumb drive in case I need to use a "reliable" office product on a company or public computer. I would buy a copy of the Office Pro if there was a way to install it without changing my Window's registry. I think it could be made a lot more acceptable if there were more context-sensitive help. in both PlanMaker and BasicMaker the user is forced to look things up instead of the software prompting for parameters. In the case of BasicMaker a pick-list of functions that prompt the proper parameters would be a lot of help in constructing a routine. I'm still not sure how to implement the basic into my document.

I have a reasonably fast machine for home, but I was amazed how slow the refresh was when I tried to move graphics around to in any of the suite's components. I used "TextArt" objects in each of the components and loaded down Presentation with pictures, graphics and slide animations for each of the images. The presentation in Presentation worked flawlessly. However, positioning and adjusting the size of those images was a major chore and took an exceptionally long time. The exact same exercise in both Microsoft Office PowerPoint and LibreOffice Impress didn't require as much patience. This was mostly due to the slow screen refresh. At one point, working with Presentation and moving a TextArt image around, the product locked up and I had to refresh by closing the app and reopening. If I were on my 2008 netbook instead of my much newer desktop this may have been impossible. The netbook only has 256 MB of RAM.

Lastly, was the database capability. I think it was very smart to embed SQLite as a database for the "mailing" fields. It gives the user the option to build the database internally or to develop a database outside of Office Pro. However, when I tried to create an employee roster that would include pictures, I was prevented from displaying the data. I could include the picture using the BLOB type field in SQLite, but TextMaker wouldn't display it in my document. I tried to reference the picture's pathname, but again, there was no way to display the picture. If I were purchasing this for my small business, I would be disappointed that I didn't have the flexibility to reference or call up pictures as part of my database function.

jackintosh

Post by jackintosh » Sun May 31, 2020 5:35 pm

I already ordered the 2021 update. It is not expensive and I'm glad to support SoftMaker.
Gruesse

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c » Sun May 31, 2020 6:03 pm

Thank you for your support!

seasidepb

Post by seasidepb » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:51 pm

I'd just say that Microsoft doesn't reward its beta testers either - the "reward" is early access to new features, and I guess some of us are nerdy enough (me included) to think this is interesting and worth the risk.
I see the Softmaker site has now officially launched the product, but only in the pro version. I think you said earlier there would be a standard version, so is this still planned?

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Thanks for your time and patience. We just released SoftMaker Office 2021 and its standard version is still pending which we will do in some time. Please wait, you will get the update regarding this on our website.

Return to “BETA SoftMaker Office 2021 for Windows (General)”