not able to modify text

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FreePDF for Windows.
carlapast

not able to modify text

Post by carlapast »

Hello
I just downloaded and installed successfully FreePDF, it works when inserting text fields but not when it comes to modify one already existing: the text to modify is found and the color are inverted, meaning white chars on black, then there is no way to change it. The keyboard seems inactivated, only the cursor can be moved to a different position to insert something new.
Surely I'm missing some action, could someone help me?
Thanks, Carla
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: not able to modify text

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for trying FreePDF. Editing existing text is a commercial feature and not available in FreePDF.

You can purchase FlexiPDF 2022 to use premium commercial features on our online shop.
lstanis1

Post by lstanis1 »

Hi SuperTech
There is a problem with your response. It is contradictory or inconsistent with the email I just received from you headed "Load and Help 2021".

Following the "Load and Help 2021" link leads to a page that includes the download link for "FreePDF" to download/install freepdf.exe.

The url page https://www.getfreepdf.com/en/?ref=lah" headed "FreePDF - The free PDF editor for personal and business use" includes a dot point to indicate some of the features, including "Customize the layout of PDF files by rearranging, moving and removing text and pictures". I highlight "moving and removing text and pictures".

Clearly, your statement that "Editing existing text is a commercial feature and not available in FreePDF" is, at the very least, inconsistent with the features displayed/advertised in the listed features in the url "https://www.getfreepdf.com/en/?ref=lah".
Eregrds
Lou S
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

You can move and delete text boxes (to clean up a PDF), but you cannot edit text.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Respectfully, I have to agree with lstanis1. Here's a link to the web page for FreePDF:

https://freepdfxp.de/index_en.html

Note that it says FreePDF can "Create, edit, view, print and annotate PDF files... for free!"

Farther down, it says, "Customize the layout of PDF files by rearranging, moving and removing text and images."

If this does not include the ability to actually edit text -- WITHIN a text box -- then the description is clearly inaccurate and deceptive. The meaning of "edit" is clear and should not be subject to argument. Beyond that, I think to pretty much anyone who speaks English the phrase "rearranging text" would be interpreted to mean "edit." It doesn't say "rearranging text boxes," it says "rearranging text." As someone who has spent most of his life as a technical writer and editor, I think this clearly implies the ability to move text around within a text box -- in other words, to edit text. If it only means the ability to rearrange text boxes then it should clearly state "rearranging text boxes."
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Oh, please. I request that you take down the volume a bit. "Deceptive" is defined as "attempting to deceive". Are you really accusing us of this?

FreePDF can edit many parts of a PDF file, but not the text. Nothing on the FreePDF website claims otherwise. "Rearrange text and images" is meant to move them around and place them in different positions on the page. Any other interpretation means you are reading more into this than is written.

We will take your suggested text change under advice, but we never attempted to deceive anybody.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FreePDF for Windows”