FlexiPDF Pro - Measuring

Questions and answers about FlexiPDF 2019 for Windows
mcdoug24

FlexiPDF Pro - Measuring

Post by mcdoug24 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:49 pm

I'm currently trying a trial version of FlexiPDF Pro.
ON other PDF editing software I've tried there is often a Measurement capability. This is useful for doing quick/rough dimension checks on drawings. Before carrying out any measurement, you first have to calibrate (identify 2 points on the PDF as a specified distance).
Is such a Measurement capability available in FlexiPDF Pro?

Woody44

Re: FlexiPDF Pro - Measuring

Post by Woody44 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:04 am

I'm a fellow user, not a member of the Softmaker team, but I have not found a measuring capability in FlexiPDF nor does Adobe Reader support measuring. In fact, of all the PDF readers and editors I have tried, the only one that supports measuring is BlueBeam. I have downloaded the free version of BlueBeam reader but I haven't installed it because I don't need to measure text-only PDFs, and I found BlueBeam to be exceptionally clunky and counter-intuitive for the things I use a PDF reader or editor for.

mcdoug24

Post by mcdoug24 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:37 pm

Woody44, many thanks for your comments.
I had previously used Bluebeam Review when working in the construction/design industry and found it extremely useful, especially the measuring facility for 'rough' checks, and for reviewing and commenting on drawings.
As I have now retired and no longer have access to Bluebeam, I was looking for a less expensive alternative.
I would probably be able to use FlexiPDF Pro for the majority of my daily requirements. I'll also investigate using Bluebeam Reader if it provides a measuring facility.
Thanks again.

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:27 am

mcdoug24 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:37 pm
As I have now retired and no longer have access to Bluebeam, I was looking for a less expensive alternative.
I would probably be able to use FlexiPDF Pro for the majority of my daily requirements. I'll also investigate using Bluebeam Reader if it provides a measuring facility.
Thanks again.
I am fairly certain that the Bluebeam Vu reader includes measuring capability but I don't have it installed on this computer so I can't verify that for you.

However, I discovered that I was incorrect in stating (above) that Bluebeam Vu was the only free PDF viewer that has measuring capability. After I wrote that I became curious about why Abode Reader doesn't include it, so I did some research and found that it actually does. I've been using it for years (Reader XI -- I dislike the newer versions) and never knew that.

I certainly agree that FlexiPDF should include measurement capability. In fact, if Adobe's free Reader and Bluebeam's free Vu reader include it, in order to be not just competitive but even merely comparable then I think both FlexiPDF and FreePDF should include it.

I might add that my exposure to Bluebeam was also in the design and construction profession/industry. My last major assignment was on a major vertical construction project for a state agency. In the state field office where I worked, we were on state computers connected to the state network. We weren't allocated enough seats for Bluebeam as we had people, so some of the computers had the free Bluebeam Vu reader. I used one of those work stations on occasion and my fuzzy recollection is that I was able to use it for measuring PDFs of blueprints. (Unfortunately, the free version didn't include several other capabilities that my role called for, so I had to get creative in developing work-arounds.)

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:39 am

P.S.: I just looked at the Bluebeam web site. It appears that the free Bluebeam Vu has been discontinued. They now allow you to download the full Bluebeam program and run it in trial mode -- but it's only good for 30 days.

Hey, SoftMaker -- please add measuring tools to FlexiPDF and FreePDF.

Return to “FlexiPDF 2019 for Windows”