Page size problem

Questions and answers about FlexiPDF 2019 for Windows
Woody44

Page size problem

Post by Woody44 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:57 pm

I just encountered what seems to be a problem with FlexiPDF 2019.

I'm working on a manuscript for a book I hope to self-publish. The page size for the printed book will be 5-1/2 inches by 8-1/2 inches. This is a standard trim size for paperback books in the U.S. I wanted to "print" a few sample chapters to send to a friend to get his reaction to the direction the book is going -- as well as the overall design of the book. And what I found was that I could not "print" to a 5-1/2" x 8-1.2" page using FlexiPDF as a virtual printer.

With more and more people looking at self-publishing books, this seems to be an important shortcoming. I went into the page layout > Advanced setting menu, and I set the page to "UserDef" but ... there was nothing after that to allow me to actually define the page size. And none of the available page sizes correspond to any of the U.S. standard, trade paperback trim sizes (5-1/2 x 8-1/2, 6 x 9, 5-1/4 x 8, etc.)

How can I get it to "print" to the required page size? If it's not possible, please look into making it possible in the next release of FlexiPDF.

Woody44

Re: Page size problem

Post by Woody44 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:02 am

Postscript:

The export to PDF function in TextMaker preserves the formatted paper size, so that's the workaround -- for TextMaker.

However, I am an architect. There are many occasions when I need to "print" technical drawings to PDF format, and the sizes of architectural drawings can range anywhere from 8-1/2 x 11 inches to 36 x 42 inches (occasionally larger for some architects, but I typically never use sheets larger than 24 x 36 inches). And these are printed out of AutoCAD, so the fact that TextMaker has an export to PDF utility is of no help.

If FlexiPDF is going to be useful as a virtual printer, it is absolutely essential that users be able to EASILY configure the page/paper size to any size they may need. If that capability is already there -- I couldn't find it.

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks for reporting this problem. You can check and configure User-Defined page size in TextMaker as well as in FlexiPDF vertical printer by Setup > Advanced > PageSize> UserDef. Please test these options and let us know.

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:35 pm

That's the route I tried to follow, but it leads to nowhere.

I have a document open in TextMaker, formatted for 5-1/2 inch x 8-1/2 inch paper. I select Print and then I select FlexiPDF as the printer. From there:

Setup > Layout > Advanced > PaperSize > UserDef > __???__

That's the end. I select UserDef for the paper size, and there is no window or pop-up of any kind where I can specify the dimensions of the custom page size.

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:51 pm

To set User-defined page size, you will have to set it in TextMaker ribbon command Layout | Page Size | More.. | Size: User-Defined and define your desired page size below Width and Height.

Thanks

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:00 am

SuperTech wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:51 pm
To set User-defined page size, you will have to set it in TextMaker ribbon command Layout | Page Size | More.. | Size: User-Defined and define your desired page size below Width and Height.

Thanks
That's of no help when I need to print (plot) an AutoCAD drawing to PDF.

FlexiPDF installs as a virtual printer. A virtual printer should be able to print documents from any program / application on the computer, not just from SoftMaker Office or FreeOffice. If the virtual printer can't define the paper size within the virtual printer's own options menu, then it's not doing its job.

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:21 pm

I just installed AutoCAD 2020 to test it for you and plotted a 65x45 inch big PDF using FlexiPDF through AutoCAD only. Please check again. Steps are :
1. In AutoCAD goto ribbon command Output | Plot.
2. Select printer name FlexiPDF > Paper Size : UserDef
3. Set Origin Set to the printable area: 65 and 45 or whatever size you want as it's User Defined.
4. Click on Apply to Layout and click OK.
5. You will get your large PDF file.

I am not AutoCAD expert but just tested that as you mentioned FlexiPDF virtual printer is working fine with all the software and not just SoftMaker Office.

Thanks

Return to “FlexiPDF 2019 for Windows”