SOLVED: How do I create a text frame with black, printable frame lines with FlexiPDF?

Questions and answers about FlexiPDF 2019 for Windows
ecbritz

SOLVED: How do I create a text frame with black, printable frame lines with FlexiPDF?

Post by ecbritz » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:54 pm

In my previous posting, I asked how I could add a T+ frame outlined and measured with blue lines to a pdf document, and then provide this frame with black, printable outlines, i.e. create a printable "box" for what is going to be typed into the frame.
Mr Martin-K was so kind as to answer: "After inserting a Text box (Object > New text frame), right-click the border and choose "Properties...", then tab "Lines"."
I wonder if this was not a reference to Textmaker rather than FlexiPDF, because the answer does not seem to apply to my problem.
I attach a pdf showing that I am not able to add the printable box frame by going to the Object menu or by right-clicking on the blue T+ frame.
How do I create a text box with printable, black or coloured outlines with FlexiPDF?
Attachments
Black box frame for T+ text frame.pdf
(368.27 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Last edited by ecbritz on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: How do I create a text frame with black, printable frame lines with FlexiPDF?

Post by SuperTech » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:52 pm

You can do it by simply select Object tool, right-click on the TextBox and then select Border > 1pt as per shown in the attached video.

Thanks
FlexiPDF TextBox Borders.gif

ecbritz

Re: How do I create a text frame with black, printable frame lines with FlexiPDF?

Post by ecbritz » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 pm

Thanks so much for the trouble taken to demonstrate the steps to be taken. I really appreciate your assistance.
Many years ago I was appointed to write a user guide for a computer program. I had hardly any knowledge or experience of the program at first. But this was an advantage in the sense that I could see what a novice (like myself) would find obscure, would want to understand and be able to do first, etc. In the case of FlexiPDF a tutorial added to the user guide, steering the novice through a number of steps needed to perform certain tasks -- for instance adding a printable text frame to other such frames on a pdf -- would familiarize the novice with the program even before he starts learning the easy stuff. The tutorial should cover a range of tasks not easily performed without mature knowledge of the program, but of everyday, practical, vital use to the user. The tutorial I have in mind could make FlexiPDF less daunting for the novice, the intended reader of the user guide.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:12 am

I'm afraid my enthusiasm & hope that I could produce a printable line frame were dashed this morning when I tried the instructions I received out. "Object tool, right-click on the TextBox and then select Border > 1pt" simply does not work. Or perhaps something is left out in this brief instruction leaving me stranded. I attach a pdf showing what happens when I try to carry out Mr Martin-K's instructions, namely "After inserting a Text box (Object > New text frame), right-click the border and choose "Properties...", then tab "Lines"." It seems impossible to do this, please see the attached pdf.

Perhaps if I am given step-by-step instructions, leaving absolutely nothing out, I might be able to locate the step where I go wrong. I might mention that when I manage to find the "Border" option following the instructions I got, the Border Options are always blanked out.
Attachments
Impossible.pdf
(363.57 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:57 pm

Sorry, my mistake. The answer you cited came from me and I overlooked that we were in the FlexiPDF forum. This was indeed intended for TextMaker.

In FlexiPDF, you draw a text box with the Text Edit Tool first. Then change to the Object tool, select the text box, right-click and choose "Border...".

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks Jossi. I think I have the solution after a struggle. (Do something wrong and the Border settings will be grayed out.)

Open FlexiPDF and then do the following:
1. Click on the T button ... it might be ON (with blue background) already
2. Drag your mouse cursor in the editing window to create a box with blue, adjustable outlines.
3. Type some text into the box.
4. Click on a blue, adjustable outline
5. Then click on the Object Tool (the button showing a picture of a cursor)
6. Now click on the text you have typed -- the blue box should return
7. Right-click on an outline or click on the Object button
8. Go to "Border" on the menu shown
9. Select the line width you prefer
10.The job should be done, the text box should now have a printable outline

The video posted by SuperTech offers a shorter fix, once you get the hang of it.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: SOLVED: How do I create a text frame with black, printable frame lines with FlexiPDF?

Post by Jossi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:09 pm

As far as I can see, the video shows the same procedure. By the way: This works also for an empty text box.

Return to “FlexiPDF 2019 for Windows”