Huge bug in printer driver in New v2.0.4

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FlexiPDF 2019.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

johnUSA

Huge bug in printer driver in New v2.0.4

Post by johnUSA » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:18 pm

It is impossible to save a pdf file from any program with this buggy and non-working print driver.
After I click on Print I never get a new window to save my newly created pdf file......absolutely nothing.
A big shame on SoftMaker for releasing a buggy and non-working program.
SoftMaker must now pull this buggy 2.0.4 program and fix it ASAP.
I am using Windows 10 Pro x64.
If you are experiencing this same issue please share it here so SoftMaker will see that I am not the only one having this horrible issue.
I am hoping and wishing that a new 2.0.5 version will have this irritating and buggy issue fixed very soon.
Thank you.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Huge bug in printer driver in New v2.0.4

Post by martin-k » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:28 pm

John, you have sent this twice to us by e-mail. In each case, we replied explaining what is going on on your system. You never replied, instead you chose to post the same claim here :?

So I will post here what we told you twice by e-mail: Go to https://www.softmaker.com/en/tips-flexipdf and read the second section about PrintDisp.

There is nothing wrong with FlexiPDF. Some AV programs just decide to disable one of its essential components.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

johnUSA

Post by johnUSA » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:07 pm

Hi Martin, thank you for replying.
Sorry I did not see your email as it was hiding in my Spam folder.
I did what was recommended here:
https://www.softmaker.com/en/tips-flexipdf
and my PrintDisp is Enabled (not Disabled).
I even tried Compatibility Mode, using Windows 8 and 7, and none worked.
My PrintDisp.exe file is in C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder, and it is version 3.5.44.148
If you have other solutions I would like to try them.
Thanks for trying to help.
BTW ..... are you able to successfully create a new PDF file by using the print driver in this new 2.0.4 version?
Please test it.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:00 pm

Yes, we can print to PDF with 2.0.4. We did this during testing before the 2.0.4 release and we did it this afternoon after your e-mails.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Hmm. The PrintDisp we ship is version 3.5.42.147.

Are you using another application that also installed a PrintDisp (this is the ActMask PDF printer kit)? I think you might have a conflict there.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

johnUSA

Post by johnUSA » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:29 pm

Being a PC professional I do test many programs, I do have other PDF programs installed that may conflict with your FlexiPDF program.
I renamed my installed PrintDisp.exe, then reinstalled FlexiPDF 2.0.4 but still I could not print (save files) with the print driver.
I will not continue troubleshooting this issue so you can consider this case closed but not really fixed for me.
Of course I will not be able to use FlexiPDF anymore, but I will try again your future new releases and hopefully they will function properly. Let's hope for the best.
Thank you for all your help.

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:52 am

Hi John,
I know you mentioned you're not going to investigate this any further. However if you change your mind I leave you the procedure below. This might also be helpful to anyone who experiences the same situation as you:

1. Uninstall all versions of Flexipdf (also PDF Pro or Infix if you ever installed them. They all use the ActMast virtual printer)
2. Reboot
2. Open the Windows Registry Editor (Regedit.exe)
3. Search and DELETE for:
flexipdf
actmask
PDF Pro (if you ever installed it)
Infix (if you ever installed it)
The best way to do this step is to press F3 to repeat the search and press the delete key when it finds results and enter. Then press F3 again, delete , enter, etc...
At the end do search again, because you might have missed some.
4. Go to c:\ and search for actmask and flexipdf files and folders. Delete them.
Preferably use a software such as https://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorlite/download/ which finds hidden files and folders
5. Delete the following files:
C:\Windows\System32\printctrl.exe
C:\Windows\System32\printdisp.exe
C:\Windows\System32\prtclient.exe
C:\Windows\System32\prtpass.exe
C:\Windows\System32\setprinter.exe
6. Delete the contents of the windows temp folder (type %temp% in windows file explorer)
7. Reboot windows
8. Install Flexipdf 2019 again
9.Test printing: It probably prints.
10. Reboot again
11. Test printing: It prints again? Problem solved.
12. If not, run C:\Windows\System32\printdisp.exe and try to print again. If it works go to the task manager and enable it on StartUp and reboot.
13. It it still doesn't work, press Win+R and type msconfig.exe and Enter.
14. Then see if the service Printer Control is running. If not, enable it and activate it. Try to print again.

johnUSA

Post by johnUSA » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Thank you miguel-c for trying to help.
I did all your vast checkup and repairs and I am still unable to create a PDF file with your print driver, after clicking on Print absolutely nothing appears to happen and I am not bothering to check my Temp folder to see of the new PDF file has been saved there.
To test this issue further I installed the new FlexiPDF version 2.0.4 on a brand new PC that does not have any PDF creating programs, only has Adobe Reader (only reads PDF files and has no means to create new ones) and Amyuni Document Converter (saves as PDF) as this PC has QuickBooks Pro 2018 installed.
FYI...Amyuni Document Converter is included in QuickBooks and only works with QuickBooks and will not work with any other application or program.
After installing FlexiPDF 2.0.4 I rebooted the PC as requested and tested the print driver with several programs and sad to report that again it did not work.
I cannot create a new PDF files with your printer driver...... absolutely nothing happens or appears (like save as) after clicking on Print button.
This is very aggravating and exasperating and I have decided to just give up and stop wasting my time and completely stop using your FlexiPD program.
In my opinion you do have a major bug with your print driver. Maybe it is so susceptible to special variances on many PCs that it just does not work.
Maybe I am one of the unfortunate users that your FlexiPDF just refuses to work properly.
Your FlexiPDf program appears to be very temperamental, impractical, and problematic program.
Luckily there are many other programs that I can use, like Ashampoo PDF, Wondershare PDF Element, Master PDF Editor, Nitro PDF, Foxit PDF and many others. I do not experience ANY issues with any of these programs.
FYI all of these programs are installed on one of my PCs and they ALL work properly and I can print (save as PDF) with ALL of these programs.
Million dollar question....how come all these programs work successfully and can function with each other in total harmony EXCEPT your super fussy FlexiPDF ?
You need and must update and correct this issue ASAP.
Thank you again and wish you all the best.
Last edited by johnUSA on Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi John, at the moment you are the only user with this problem. Activating Printdisp.exe in Windows StartUp fixed the issue for the few clients who weren't able to print to PDF using our FlexiPDF printer.
Note: Ashampoo PDF Pro licenses FlexiPDF from SoftMaker and they also had issues with the Actmask PDF printer that now have a solution with the above mentioned simple fix.
Your time is valuable, so thank you for the time you spent on this.
Best luck

johnUSA

Post by johnUSA » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 pm

Lucky for SoftMaker that I am the only one having issues.
I find saving many files as pdf very useful and luckily I have an arsenal of programs that I can use and ALL of them do work very well.
I guess that I am just unlucky with FlexiPDF.
Actually any user will need just one good pdf creating program, my situation is very different than most users as it is my business to check and test many different programs, including of course pdf creators like FlexiPDF.
For those who are interested in getting a good and free pdf creating program, here are the top 4 free programs:
http://perfectgeeks.com/free-pdf-creator/
You can close this case and again wish you all the best.
I will look forward to testing FlexiPDF again when your next new updated version is released, and hopefully the new version may work properly for me.

johnUSA

Post by johnUSA » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:36 am

To help many users who use Windows 10 with saving their files as a PDF file ..... Windows 10 has a built-in free PDF print driver called "Microsoft Print to PDF".
Again.... this feature is available only in Windows 10.
If you cannot find "Microsoft Print to PDF" in your PC's "Devices and Printers" then go to this URL for help to how to Enable and Create it:
https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/ena ... ws-10.html

I hope this tip comes handy for many users.
With this easy and free method you do not need any third-party program at all to save any file you want as a PDF file.
Good luck.

Return to “FlexiPDF 2019”