Terrible display quality

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FlexiPDF 2019.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

wbrells

Terrible display quality

Post by wbrells » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:04 pm

I've just installed FlexiPDF 2019 and brought up a PDF file (attached) that was generated by a Fujitsu ScanSnap document scanner. This PDF file displays fine when viewed with Adobe Acrobat 9.5, but with FlexiPDF 2019 the text is badly broken up and the lines in the table are missing big sections. I tried viewing another scanned document and got the same result. Is there some setting in FlexiPDF 2019 that can be changed in order to get a decent display of this document?

** UPDATE **

I just tried bringing up this document with the CutePDF Professional program, and it look fine. The display problem seems limited to FlexiPDF 2019...

** UPDATE **

I've attached a screen capture (Adobe-Flexi.PNG) that shows the same document as rendered by Adobe Acrobat 9.5 (on the left) and by FlexiPDF 2019 (on the right). It is quite clear that something is amiss with the rendering done by FlexiPDF 2019 - text is nowhere near as sharp as it should be and characters/lines are not fully formed.

Wayne
Attachments
Adobe-Flexi.PNG
Left is Adobe, right is FlexiPDF 2019
Bad_Display.pdf
Scanned document does not display well
(57.4 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

kgha

Re: Terrible display quality

Post by kgha » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:07 am

I can confirm that the display of scanned pdf files in FlexiPDF is horrible when compared to how they display in Acrobat Reader, PDF Studio, Evince and other pdf viewers/editors.
I first wondered if it could be a wine issue (running linux on my laptop) so I checked on a PC with Win10, but it's the same thing under windows.

wbrells

Post by wbrells » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:13 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one to comment on the poor quality of the display when viewing scanned PDF files. I really hope this problem is addressed ASAP, since as things now stand FlexiPDF 2019 is pretty much useless when it comes to handling such files. The OCR feature MAY work well, but it doesn't do much good if the files are so difficult to view!

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:04 pm

I will refer this issue to the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

wbrells

Post by wbrells » Fri May 03, 2019 1:25 pm

I've just installed the latest Service Pack (2.0.2) for FlexiPDF 2019 and unfortunately the image quality for scanned PDF files does not seem to have improved. Therefore, FlexiPDF 2019 is STILL not very usable when there is need to deal with scanned documents. IS THERE ANY CHANCE THAT THIS PROBLEM WILL EVER BE FIXED?

One other thing I noticed is that moving from page to page in, say, a 100-page document can be slow. Sometimes, going to the next page is almost instantaneous, but FREQUENTLY there is 2 second or so delay before the next page appears. With Adobe Acrobat the next page always comes up immediately...

n-p
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by n-p » Mon May 06, 2019 5:39 pm

wbrells wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:25 pm
I've just installed the latest Service Pack (2.0.2) for FlexiPDF 2019 and unfortunately the image quality for scanned PDF files does not seem to have improved. Therefore, FlexiPDF 2019 is STILL not very usable when there is need to deal with scanned documents. IS THERE ANY CHANCE THAT THIS PROBLEM WILL EVER BE FIXED?
Yes, there is. We forwarded your sample PDF to the developers and increased the priority of this issue.
We'll let you know as soon as we received feedback from the developers.
wbrells wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:25 pm
One other thing I noticed is that moving from page to page in, say, a 100-page document can be slow. Sometimes, going to the next page is almost instantaneous, but FREQUENTLY there is 2 second or so delay before the next page appears. With Adobe Acrobat the next page always comes up immediately...
Could you please provide us with a sample file for this issue as well?

wbrells

Post by wbrells » Tue May 07, 2019 6:39 pm

I must apologize since I can't seem to reproduce the slow page turning problem. The file that originally showed this problem was on a cloud storage service, and the slowness may have been caused by network congestion. I think this problem report can safely be canceled! Wayne

n-p
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by n-p » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Our developers improved the rendering quality of monochrome pictures.

With the upcoming update of FlexiPDF 2019, display quality of suchlike images should improve.

wbrells

Post by wbrells » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm really forward to checking out the new update! I hope it will be available soon...

wbrells

Post by wbrells » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:37 am

I just installed the 2.0.4 update and it does NOT seem to have improved the display of scanned images. Any estimate of when, if ever, this problem is likely to be fixed? Wayne

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:22 am

Hi,
The image on the PDF is Black and White, not greyscale. If you zoom in in adobe reader you'll see squares of either 100% black or 100% white.
When zooming out, the PDF program does some anti-aliasing to smooth those edges.
In my computer it looks better than before:
204.PNG
(adobe reader on the left and flexiPDF on the right)
Of course it could still improve.

Return to “FlexiPDF 2019”