Is there ever likely to be a Linux version?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FlexiPDF 2019.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

colonel_panic

Is there ever likely to be a Linux version?

Post by colonel_panic » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:34 pm

Hello

Firstly, congratulations on the new product. I've not tried it yet but it has some features I've been looking for for a long time. However, I'd like to know if there is ever likely to be a Linux version.

When Windows 7 goes out of support next year, I'd like to migrate us away from Windows altogether. I don't an OS that breaks itself when it (forces me to) update, which has happened to me twice this year. I also don't want to give financial support to a company that's getting into manufacturing military technology.

I know this is a big technical ask and if you aren't going to do this that's OK, but could it ever work under WINE? I have a spare licence for Windows and could install it in a virtual machine, but I'd rather not do that. If not, I will have to use a different tool. I've been consistently delighted with Softmaker products in the last year, and would rather give you money to carry on doing what you do!

Thanks for your attention.

kgha

Re: Is there ever likely to be a Linux version?

Post by kgha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:58 pm

I agree with you that a Linux version would be great, but while waiting (probably for quite some time) I can assure you that FlexiPDF works under wine. I've been running the 2017 pro version under wine 2.21, 3.0.1, and 4.0 without issues and just upgraded to the 2019 version which also works. Can't vouch for the NX version, though.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Is there ever likely to be a Linux version?

Post by martin-k » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:00 pm

We cannot based a Linux version on the current source code of FlexiPDF because it was not designed for multiple platforms to begin with, in contrast to SoftMaker Office.

Some customers report good results with Wine, but this is not officially supported. If you want to try that route, download the trial and test for yourself.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FlexiPDF 2019”