Printer Driver seems not to work anymore

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FlexiPDF 2019.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

7zRFgLx2

Printer Driver seems not to work anymore

Post by 7zRFgLx2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:57 pm

Hello all,

I have just updated from FlexiPDF 2017 to 2019. I also have uninstalled the 2017 version (after) installing the update. OS is a Windows 8.1.

Now, printing into FlexiPDF does not work anymore. I tried from "Presentations Professional 2018" as well as from FireFox, but the result always is as following:
After the printing progress bar of the current application gets closed, the tiny FlexyPDF progress bar shows up in the right bottom edge of the screen, and .... nothing more happens at all! :cry:

FlexyPDF 2017 did work without any problem. The problem occured even BEFORE I uninstalled the 2017th version.

Any hints?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Printer Driver seems not to work anymore

Post by martin-k » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:52 am

The only situation we could reproduce this was when FlexiPDF 2017 was still installed when we installed FlexiPDF 2019.

Please uninstall FlexiPDF 2017 and 2019, then reboot your PC and install FlexiPDF 2019 again.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

CONIMPEX

Post by CONIMPEX » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:47 pm

I had the same problem today. Turned out that the new PDF printer driver printed just fine, only it doesn't ask the user anymore where to save that PDF, or opens that PDF in FlexiPDF after printing. The created PDFs will go straight into C:\ProgramData\Temp\, and get a name like 2019-02-22.13.46.21.37-00003.pdf.

Cheers,
AK

Expattyke

Post by Expattyke » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:34 am

Same problem here.

FlexiPDF 2017 deinstalled and PC restarted before successful installation of FlexiPDF 2019 (including print driver).

Conversion to PDF from Word sends a file to the FlexiPDF printer queue, reports that it has been printed, but FlexiPDF doesn’t open to display it.

Also tried it from Textmaker 2018 - doesn't work either.

OS is Windows 7 64-bit.
Also have ABBYY Fine Reader 14 installed (which converts from Word as it should), could there be a conflict here?

Would greatly appreciate any help.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:53 am

Yesterday we released revision 2.0.1 which solves this problem. The developer had forgotten to digitally sign one file :-(

If you start FlexiPDF, you will be offered an update.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

7zRFgLx2

Post by 7zRFgLx2 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:09 am

martin-k wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:53 am
Yesterday we released revision 2.0.1 which solves this problem. The developer had forgotten to digitally sign one file :-(
If you start FlexiPDF, you will be offered an update.
Thanks a lot, that helped! :D
I just deinstalled FlexiPDF and then re-installed Revision 2.0.1. Now it works as intended to do.

Expattyke

Post by Expattyke » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks for the update - it does work now.

One further question: why does the conversion have the name "untitled.pdf" rather than original-file name_.pdf - am I missing some important setting here?

TIA

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:38 am

As far as I know, a printer driver doesn't receive this information from the application you are printing from.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

hamaer

Post by hamaer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:25 pm

Same here on my side, but with a variation!

After replacing FlexiPDF 2017 Pro with the 2019 version, the new printer driver [set as my usual default] has a particular problem. Everything can be printed fine EXCEPT two important files. One is printing an email, and the other one is printing an account balance from banks (online banking).

Here is what happens: Let's say I hit the [Print] button at the opened balance of my online bank account. The new FlexiPDF 2019 collects and renders the print correctly. It looks good until you try to save it.
Once you hit the 'Save' icon, it saves only partial information of the shown page, and loses vital information.
The moment you give it a name and save it, you can see parts of the information practically disappearing in front of your eyes, and the saved PDF is an incomplete piece of useless documentation.

The same effect as described above, if I try to print an email as PDF. I reported this to Support already on the weekend via online form. Attached even a screenshot of the lost information to it but never got an answer. Great service guys!

Hans Maerker

Expattyke

Post by Expattyke » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 am

Just tried it on an email.

Left-click anywhere in the file when it opens, and you will be prompted to "keep the clip" or "remove the clip".

Click on "remove the clip" before you save (or save as...) the file to preserve all the content.

Hope this helps with the email problem. It may well also work with your online bank file

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:19 am

Expattyke wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 am

Left-click anywhere in the file when it opens, and you will be prompted to "keep the clip" or "remove the clip".

Click on "remove the clip" before you save (or save as...) the file to preserve all the content.

Hope this helps with the email problem. It may well also work with your online bank file
I will report this issue to the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

hamaer

Post by hamaer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Expattyke wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 am

Thanks for your tip, Expattyke. That's great. I tested it right away, and it works with both email and online banking. So, to prevent information loss, I always have to select "remove the clip" first, and then save it with a meaningful name. Thanks again. :)

tbidd17

Post by tbidd17 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:24 pm

CONIMPEX wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:47 pm
I had the same problem today. Turned out that the new PDF printer driver printed just fine, only it doesn't ask the user anymore where to save that PDF, or opens that PDF in FlexiPDF after printing. The created PDFs will go straight into C:\ProgramData\Temp\, and get a name like 2019-02-22.13.46.21.37-00003.pdf.

Cheers,
AK
Is there a way to update where the PDF's will be saved? I was able to find my PDF's with the location you provided. But not sure how I would ever remember that location once I start using this on a regular basis.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:28 pm

No, because you are not even supposed to find the files in c:\ProgramData\TEMP :-)

The idea is this:

1. You print from an application to the FlexiPDF printer driver.
2. The temporary PDF is stored "somewhere" and you shouldn't care.
3. The FlexiPDF application and loads the file. You then use File > Save as to store the PDF wherever you want.
4. When you then exit FlexiPDF, the temp file in c:\ProgramData\TEMP is discarded.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

tbidd17

Post by tbidd17 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:15 pm

martin-k wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:28 pm
No, because you are not even supposed to find the files in c:\ProgramData\TEMP :-)

The idea is this:

1. You print from an application to the FlexiPDF printer driver.
2. The temporary PDF is stored "somewhere" and you shouldn't care.
3. The FlexiPDF application and loads the file. You then use File > Save as to store the PDF wherever you want.
4. When you then exit FlexiPDF, the temp file in c:\ProgramData\TEMP is discarded.
So your explanation above is how it is supposed to work? When I print to Flexipdf nothing happens at all at this point. I had 2017 version and uninstalled that, and installed the 2019 version twice, still the same result. Is there something within the settings I can adjust to fix this? The print to Pdf box is checked during the install.

Return to “FlexiPDF 2019”