Page numbering problem

Questions and answers about FlexiPDF 2019 for Windows
Woody44

Page numbering problem

Post by Woody44 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:32 am

FlexiPDF 19 -- I'm encountering a problem putting page numbers into footers.

I'm preparing a book for publishing through Amazon KDP. They work from a PDF, so I have converted my manuscript into a PDF file. This is a non-fiction book that will incorporate some multi-page external documents, which are also in .PDF format. So I did not include the page numbers in a footer in the word processing document -- I planned to insert the external PDFs into the master file, and then add footers with the page numbers.

Following best practice for printed books, I have all chapters beginning on right-hand (odd-numbered) pages. That means if a preceding chapter ends on an odd-numbered page, there will be a blank even numbered page before the start of the next chapter. Those blank pages should be blank -- no headers or footers. This means I can't just insert the entire book as the page range, I have to add the footer for each chapter individually so I can skip the blank pages. And that means when I start numbering the next chapter, I need to be able to set the starting number for the page range.

The user manual for FlexiPDF says I should be able to do this, but I can't do it. According to the user manual, when I'm in the header and footer dialogue box, there should be an "Options" link under the "Page Number" box where I can set the starting number. I don't have that link. Here's what mine looks like:
Attachments
FlexiPDF_Screenshot.jpg

Woody44

Re: Page numbering problem

Post by Woody44 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:39 am

Update:

I opened FlexiPDF 2019 on my tablet, and that copy correctly shows the options for configuring things like page numbering. The version on the desktop computer is 2.1.0. The version on the tablet is 2.0.5 -- so something changed with the update to 2.1.0.

However, when with the options available, they didn't function properly. I worked on a 6-page test document. I needed to start numbering on the 4th page, and it was supposed to start at #38 and be formatted in Caslon Pro 9-point type. Instead, it brought in the footer with page 38 showing up as page 42, the type was set at 12-point, and it's blue rather than black.

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Thu May 13, 2021 11:24 pm

I still need a solution to this problem. Is anyone monitoring this forum?

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Fri May 21, 2021 12:52 am

Thanks for reporting this problem. Start number is actually the number which should from page 1, no matter from which page you starting the display. So, if you want to start showing page #38 on 4th page please set Start Number as 35 and set Page range as 4-6.

I have forwarded the details of font problem to our developers team for further investigation of the issue.

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:29 am

Thanks, Supertech.

What about the fact that the latest version of FlexiPDF doesn't have the option to set the page number? As my followup noted, to even be able to access that option, I had to change to a different computer, that is still using an older version of the program.

Also, I don't think your response solves my problem. The test document was a 6-page extract from a much longer document. The overall document will eventually be approximately 1,000 pages, and I need to be able to reset the page numbering when I transition to a new section. Also, since this is for a book, the first ten or twelve pages (the "front matter") need to be numbered using Roman numerals, and then Chapter 1 needs to be reset to page 1 and set in Arabic numerals.

Is this possible in FlexiPDF?

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:33 am

Since version 2.0,5 works and version 2.1.0 doesn't work, canI re-install 2.0.5 over 2.1.0 to get back to a functional version?

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Tue May 25, 2021 6:01 pm

Currently, what I have mentioned above, that's the only possibility.

In the latest version 2.1.0, the option button is moved to the fourth position there which will activate when you will select the target field. Please check this attached screenshot for your reference.
Option button.png

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:28 pm

That didn't work. The "Options" box does not become active when I click on the page number field in the footer box.

Also, in addition to setting the footer to automatically enter a page number, I also manually entered a header. As I'm sure you know, the bates numbering option requires you to choose Bates numbering before you open a file, and it them prompts you to enter a different folder if you don't want to overwrite the original file.

So I did that. And I was finished, there is no file in the directory I specified. So either nothing happened ... or the file went somewhere that I'll never be able to find.

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Mon May 31, 2021 4:08 pm

As I mentioned above, please select the text in that field then the option button will activate according to the selected text.

Please select the destination folder for which you can full access rights so that FlexiPDF will be able to write the file for you.

FlexiPDF will write page numbers for the entire file according to your specifications, but you will be unable to write it in Arabic or any other style.

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:06 am

SuperTech wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 4:08 pm

FlexiPDF will write page numbers for the entire file according to your specifications, but you will be unable to write it in Arabic or any other style.
That's a problem. When I am compiling a book, it is necessary to be able to number the pages of the "front matter" (the title page(s), copyright page, foreword, preface, acknowledgements, table of contents, etc., in Roman numerals, then restart the numbering at page 1 in Arabic numerals at Chapter 1.

Please submit a request to the development team to make this possible in a future update.

This also needs to be fixed in the page numbering. Some documents are broken into sections, and the page numbering may need to change. If I want to insert page numbers for the 20th through the 40th page of the document, I need to ba able to specify the range as "20 - 40" and have page 20 be numbered "1".

For example, the book I just completed had 22 pages of "front matter," so pages 1-22 needed to be numbered using Roman numerals. The first page of the actual book was the 23rd page of the file, so page 23 had to be set to read "1" in the footer, changing from Roman numerals to Arabic numerals.

BUT ... in a proper book, all chapters should begin on a right-hand (odd-numbered) page. If a chapter ends on an odd-numbered page, it is necessary to insert a blank page after it, so the next chapter will begin on an odd-numbered page. But the blank page is supposed to be BLANK -- it should not have a page number or any other header or footer on it. That's the reason for being able to specify a page range.

If Chapter 2 ends on page 33, page 34 (which may actually be page 66 in the document, because the numbering started over at Chapter 1) needs to be completely blank. Then I would specify the range for Chapter 3 as pages 67 through 93 of the file, and specify that the numbering for that range begins at 35.

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:21 am

SuperTech wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 4:08 pm
As I mentioned above, please select the text in that field then the option button will activate according to the selected text.

Please select the destination folder for which you can full access rights so that FlexiPDF will be able to write the file for you.
I do not understand this answer. I selected the field, and the options button/window did NOT activate.

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:10 pm

Please check the attached screen recording for this understanding. The options button activates when I select the text inside the field and not when I just click inside the field.

I have forwarded the feature request to our product management...
FlexiPDF activate options.gif

Return to “FlexiPDF 2019 for Windows”