PDF files from scanner are VERY large

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FlexiPDF 2019.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

wbrells

PDF files from scanner are VERY large

Post by wbrells » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:49 pm

When I use the "Import from scanner" option to create a new PDF document, the resulting image appears to be in gray scale rather than in B&W as I specified in the Twain driver. (The Twain driver is part of the VueScan program that I'm testing with a Fujitsu S500 scanner.) As a result, the PDF file is MUCH larger than it would be if scanned in B&W. Is there some way in FlexiPDF 2019 to specify B&W rather than gray scale scanning?

NOTE: Other programs such as NAPS2 do not have this problem when using the Twain driver that is part of the VueScan package.

Thoughts?

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: PDF files from scanner are VERY large

Post by miguel-c » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi, does the File > Save as (reduced size) dialog help?

wbrells

Post by wbrells » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:33 pm

That option does reduce the size considerably, but that reduction seems to be caused by lowering the resolution to 72dpi. The resulting text is fuzzy and difficult to read, so that is not an acceptable "workaround". ALSO, for some reason the resulting PDF is inverted: the background is black and the text is white - very odd!

The basic problem is that FlexiPDF doesn't seem to respect the B&W scan mode that was specified by the Twain driver.

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:45 pm

If I scan from FlexiPDF using my scanner driver, I get B&W images.
If I scan from FlexiPDF using Vuescan, I get B&W images converted to greyscale that increase the size tenfold.

There's something wrong with the communication from Vuescan.
Why don't you scan using Vuescan alone and then merge the individual files in FlexiPDF?

wbrells

Post by wbrells » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks for confirming this problem! It does seem there is something wrong with the communications between VueScan and FlexiPDF 2019. Interestingly, though, this problem seems limited to FlexiPDF: if I use Adobe Acrobat or NAPS2 with VueScan's TWAIN driver I don't seem to have a problem. I'll probably stick with one of these other programs to do the scanning & then (if necessary) edit the resulting files with FlexiPDF 2019. - Wayne

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 pm

I submitted a ticket to the developers. I'll let you know it they find a solution.

Return to “FlexiPDF 2019”