How do I retain non-textual images when editing a pdf in OCR mode?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for FlexiPDF 2019.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ecbritz

How do I retain non-textual images when editing a pdf in OCR mode?

Post by ecbritz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:14 am

I bought FlexiPDF 2017 when it was released but discarded the program because I could not fully understand and get the better of it.
I would like to give the latest, best (professional) version of FlexiPDF another try.
Please give me the steps for editing a pdf created in the following manner:
(1) A scanned, page-sized jpeg picture is copied to a Textmaker page, filling that Textmaker page.
(2) The picture contains typed text as well as handwritten text and non-textual images.
(3) The Textmaker page is filled with this jpeg picture and then saved as a PDF.
This PDF is now opened with FlexiPDF Pro. I edit the typed text by using the OCR function, then save the PDF.
The result is a PDF containing the edited text but with the non-textual images and handwritten text totally distorted.
What are the steps I should have taken to get a successfully edited PDF? Your advice should teach me the method and would make all the difference for me.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

ecbritz

Re: How do I retain non-textual images when editing a pdf in OCR mode?

Post by ecbritz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:28 am

Let me try to put my problem in a simpler way.

Suppose you receive a form, a paper form, blank in the sense that it has not been filled in yet. You want a digital copy of this blank form, for later use, and you also want to fill the form in digitally, so you can return it to the sender by email. The digitally created and filled in form should preferably be sent as a pdf document. But you start out with the paper form.

The only way I have been able to do this, is to scan the blank paper form, so I have a picture of it, and then edit the picture with for instance PaintDotNet. I use the text insert function of my photo editing program to fill the form in. Once I have a picture of the edited, filled in form -- or of the blank form, for that matter -- I copy it (the picture) to Textmaker, and make it fit on a Textmaker page. I then save ("export") the Textmaker document to PDF. This is a time-consuming method, but it works. The sender of the paper form receives a digital, and digitally filled in form in return.

The question is whether I can edit such a PDF with FlexiPDF. It does not seem possible, or very difficult to do.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:59 pm

Hi, I hope I understood what you want.
I'd suggest the following:
1. Create a new blank PDF in FlexiPDF 2019
2. Drag the scanned form (PNG, TIFF, JPG...) into the blank document area
3. Resize it to match the page size
4. Right click the toolbar area and activate the Form Editing Toolbar
5. Click the Text Field icon in the Form Editing bar
6. Start drawing boxes over the scanned form fields
7. Save at the end and send the PDF to the client so he can fill the form on his PDF reader.

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks, I'll try that. I have to say that its not easy to get the hang of FlexiPDF, but I suspect that other PDF editors are equally challenging. In the case of paper forms that have to be filled in, I simply scan them and then use the text tool of a photo editor to fill them (the scans) in. I then print the filled-in pages, or I convert the photo files to pdf files. Whether this workaround is more time-consuming than your method I'll find out.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Return to “FlexiPDF 2019”