Critical System Error + Solution

General questions and answers about FreeOffice 2018 for Mac. Don't post application-specific questions here, but in the appropriate subforum.
OofyProsser

Critical System Error + Solution

Post by OofyProsser »

When I try to start any of the SoftMaker programs (PlanMaker, TextMaker, or Presentations) I get an error: Critical System Error: Unable to create temporary folder. The program then quits. Rebooting my Mac did not help. Malware tests find nothing. I ran Disk Utility First Aid which was unable to complete the check. I booted into Safe Mode and ran DUFA again, got a clean bill of health. Someone suggested I didn't have enough empty space on my hard drive (128GB SSD) so I cleaned off a bunch of stuff, resulting in 40GB of free space. Ran DUFA again. Kept getting the same error. No problem running any other program. Also uninstalled FreeOffice and reinstalled it, same error. I was able to boot from an external drive (Mojave) and run TextMaker with no problem.

This is a recent problem, I haven't used any of the programs for a couple of weeks, but they were working fine then. No updates done to the OS recently, currently at 10.15.7 on an MacBook Air.
-----------------------------------------
If you have the same problem, this is what I did to solve it: erased the hard drive, reinstalled Catalina, then reinstalled my files from a Time Machine backup. All is working fine, now.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else with the same problem and any other possible solutions. I hope there is an easier one than reinstalling everything! Thanks in advance.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Critical System Error + Solution

Post by SuperTech »

You can also check your Gatekeeper settings/Antivirus software for SoftMaker apps because there are possibilities that macOS/Antivirus is blocking SoftMaker apps from reading the files.

Please try these steps:
1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click Privacy.
2. Select Files and Folders.
3. Select the tickbox below SoftMaker FreeOffice app to allow it to access files and folders in that location.

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Mac (General)”