cannot change default office application

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

fox

cannot change default office application

Post by fox » Sat May 19, 2018 1:45 pm

Once I installed FreeOffice 2018 in Ubuntu 18.04, it became the default program to open MS office files, and this cannot be changed through the properties/Open with dialogue box. Choosing any other application as default in this box has no effect and FreeOffice remains the default. I know that this isn't normal behaviour for an office app because after I uninstall FreeMaker Office I can successfully change the default to any other office program (MS, LibreOffice or WPS). I want to use FreeOffice 2018, but I don't necessarily want it to be the default application. Is this a bug in the program, or is there some other way I can change this behaviour?

Note that Softmaker Office 2016 locks the default application setting as well.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: cannot change default office application

Post by sven-l » Fri May 25, 2018 9:14 am

So you have tried to change the default program for MS Office files like shown here?
https://askubuntu.com/questions/90214/h ... lt-program
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

fox

Post by fox » Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 pm

The askubuntu post refers to the file ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. When I go to that file, all the filetypes refer to planmaker, textmaker or presentations-free18.desktop. However, I had already uninstalled FreeOffice 2018 to test whether this freed up my ability to select a default application, and it does. In other words, the mimeapps.list file is there, but it isn't directing my choices of default when FreeOffice isn't installed. To see if this file was the problem, I reinstalled FreeOffice 2018 and tested again whether it locks up my ability to select a default app. It does; I cannot change it to anything other than the FreeOffice app. Next, I deleted the ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list file and tried again. This had no effect; I still couldn't change the default to anything other than the FreeOffice app. So I uninstalled FreeOffice 2018 again, and this restored my ability to choose a default app. FreeOffice must be locking up this function in some other way. Incidentally, I own SoftMaker Office 2016, and this did the same thing.

freeofficer

Post by freeofficer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:44 am

same issue on linux mint 18.3

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Linux (General)”