HELP!!! ALL MY DATA IS MISSING

Questions and answers about FreeOffice PlanMaker 2018 for Windows
NewPCUser

HELP!!! ALL MY DATA IS MISSING

Post by NewPCUser » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:31 pm

I have been using the PlanMaker for about 4 weeks (since about May 4th or 5th). I had about 10 spreadsheets with very important financial data for my both business and personal. I use these spreadsheets EVERY SINGLE DAY. I wake up this morning and the entire month's work is gone. I can see all the spreadsheets is there but it's the original one I transferred a month ago. All the daily activity for the last 30 days is missing and I am beyond stressed as this is IMPORTANT TAX INFO. How can I retrieve this info?

UPDATE: First, to everyone who responded trying to help in this dire situation, thank you. Long story short I was able to access a version of the lost spreadsheets that were from 2 days ago so all I have to do is reconstruct the last 2 days. I learned the hard way to get a back up system set up ASAP. It seems this was my fault due to not knowing how to use a PC. I've been on a MAC for the last 10 years so I'm learning. Thanks again to everyone. SO APPRECIATED.
Last edited by NewPCUser on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: HELP!!! ALL MY DATA IS MISSING

Post by SuperTech » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:36 pm

Sorry to hear about it but PlanMaker never restores a file to backdate. As you mentioned in your other post that there was windows update after that this problem happened.
I have been using PlanMaker for about 4 weeks now (since about May 12th). I work on 10 spreadsheets daily. These spreadsheets contain very important financial tax information for both business and personal. Last night there was a Windows 10 Pro update and all my work has been lost. I can see the spreadsheets however all the data from the last 4 weeks is missing. How can I retrieve this info? I am beyond stressed about this.
To assist you in this troubleshooting may I know the following things :
1. What's the path of these files?
2. Are you using any backup software which takes backup of these files?
3. What are the details of the Windows update which happened last night? you can check it from Windows update history.
4. Are there other files also which are missing/updated or just these 10?
5. Please check the file's properties like last modified etc.
6. Please click on the ribbon command File | Options | Backup Tab and check if "Keep older version of the document" is checked or not.
7. If yes, please copy the folder mentioned in the path "Folder for file versions" to a safe place and try to check files stored there.

Thanks

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:44 pm

Oh. My. God. You have been working for a month with important spreadsheets every single day without ever making a backup? Lesson No 1:
BACK THEM UP.
BACK THEM UP.
BACK THEM UP.
Daily, at least. And to more than one location.

Now, having made that clear, go to Tools > Options..., tab "Files". Is "Create backup files" checked? Is "Auto recovery" checked? If the answer is "No" in both cases, you're in a hard place. If at least one of them is checked, have a look into your document folder. There should be a subfolder "SoftMaker" containing a subfolder "backup". If you are lucky, there are *pmbak files inside. These are the backups. Rightclick and "Open with..." PlanMaker should set you right.

Independent from FreeOffice: Have you had a look into the recycle bin? Have you searched your complete hard disk for any files with the same name as the ones you're looking for?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:47 pm

Note: This is about FreeOffice. It doesn't have multi-generational backup, so the only chance is to look for a .bak file in the same folder as the document.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

NewPCUser

Post by NewPCUser » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:25 pm

Thank you so much for trying to help in this dire situation. Long story short I was able to access a version of the lost spreadsheets that were from 2 days ago so all I have to do is reconstruct the last 2 days. I learned the hard way to get a back up system set up ASAP. It seems this was my fault due to not knowing how to use a PC. I've been on a MAC for the last 10 years so I'm learning. Thanks again. SO APPRECIATED.
SuperTech wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:36 pm
Sorry to hear about it but PlanMaker never restores a file to backdate. As you mentioned in your other post that there was windows update after that this problem happened.
I have been using PlanMaker for about 4 weeks now (since about May 12th). I work on 10 spreadsheets daily. These spreadsheets contain very important financial tax information for both business and personal. Last night there was a Windows 10 Pro update and all my work has been lost. I can see the spreadsheets however all the data from the last 4 weeks is missing. How can I retrieve this info? I am beyond stressed about this.
To assist you in this troubleshooting may I know the following things :
1. What's the path of these files?
2. Are you using any backup software which takes backup of these files?
3. What are the details of the Windows update which happened last night? you can check it from Windows update history.
4. Are there other files also which are missing/updated or just these 10?
5. Please check the file's properties like last modified etc.
6. Please click on the ribbon command File | Options | Backup Tab and check if "Keep older version of the document" is checked or not.
7. If yes, please copy the folder mentioned in the path "Folder for file versions" to a safe place and try to check files stored there.

Thanks

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:19 pm

NewPCUser wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:25 pm
I learned the hard way to get a back up system set up ASAP.
I think most of us have learned that the hard way when we started using a computer – been there, experienced that. :cry: Glad you could avoid a major disaster.

Return to “FreeOffice PlanMaker 2018 for Windows”