How to add lap times together in Planmaker?

Questions and answers about FreeOffice PlanMaker 2018 for Windows
SamJames23

How to add lap times together in Planmaker?

Post by SamJames23 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:18 pm

Greetings! :)

I'm trying to calculate lap times and cannot find a way to add the times together. I have tried a few of the suggestions but somehow there is either an error, no data, or just zeros. So perhaps somebody who is clever with these things might know how to do it.

Here are some example times that I would like to add together. They are in the format mm:ss.000, in other words, accurate to 1/1000 of a second. It would be useful if the total could have hours as well, when necessary, such as when more total time has been accumulated.

16:19.967
16:06.251
15:59.083

Clearly the figure I'm looking for here is 48:25.301, not 00:00.000 or 'error'!

Is it important which order I format the cells in before doing the calculation? I've tried all manner of different permutations and combinations and nothing seems to work.

It is also important that I am able to update the data as new lap times are recorded during the season.

A lot of people at our sports club will be very grateful for help with this issue. Thanks in advance!

Woody44

Re: How to add lap times together in Planmaker?

Post by Woody44 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:40 am

It works for me, but I initially didn't see a way to format to thousandths of a second. I just tried it, using your sample numbers. I formatted the cells to "Date/Time" and then selected "35:23.0" (the fifth selection up from the bottom--the actual number will vary depending on which cell you're in), then I clicked "OK." When I entered your numbers into three cells, I entered them to three decimal places but the cells only display one decimal place. When I added the three numbers together, the result was 48:25.3.

Then I went back and dug deeper. When you select the "Date/Time" > fifth choice up from the bottom, the single-line display window below the "Format" pick box displays "mm:ss.0;@". I cleverly figured out that the zero must indicate the number of decimal places, but ... how to change that?

Answer: After you do what I described above, and before you click "OK," go back the the "Category" pick box window on the left and click on "Custom" at the bottom. That will open up a window where you can enter two more zeroes to make your cells display to three decimal places. My total now reads 48:25.301.

SamJames23

Re: How to add lap times together in Planmaker?

Post by SamJames23 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:01 pm

Thank you Woody, you are an absolute genius. Worked just as you said. Not sure why it didn't work for me the first time I did exactly that, but by reentering the data it managed to calculate everything correctly. You've been a tremendous help, very much appreciated. :D 8) :lol:

Return to “FreeOffice PlanMaker 2018 for Windows”