Bleed Illustrations?

Timeship

Bleed Illustrations?

Post by Timeship »

Does anyone know how to fit book illustrations to 100% full page? My 2018 version of Free Office allows only 85% tops. My book is 5"x8" (with 5.13" x 8.25" bleed option as per Amazon.com requirements) while the illustrations are 6"x9". See the attached screenshot. Thanks!
Attachments
100%pic.jpg
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Bleed Illustrations?

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. Please share the associated file of TextMaker in which you are getting this problem so that we can do further investigation for resolution.

If you want to send it to us privately, please e-mail us at the forum[at]softmaker.de

Please also include the forum URL of this topic so that we can trace your e-mail.
viewtopic.php?f=317&t=21097
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

You may need to use larger images. I just tried inserting a photo into a random document I opened. As expected, it defaulted to adjusting the image to the width between the margins on the page.

When I selected the photo and then went to "Properties," the scale was something like 35 percent. I just continued to increase the width until the image reached the edge of the page -- which was 43 percent scaling. I could also get it to 43 percent by dragging the lower right corner to the edge of the page.
In the photo properties, I can enlarge the image beyond 43 percent and it does get larger on the page -- but it doesn't extend beyond the right-hand edge of the page, it just gets cropped at the page edge.

But for photo bleeds, Amazon KDP needs the image to extend .125 inches beyond the outside page edge. How do you do that? If your book is 5" x 8" trim size, did you set the page size as 5.125 x 8.25 in the page setup>? Based on the screen shot, you got the image to extend to the edge of your page -- that's as far as you can go. For picture books that require bleed, Amazon says to adjust the page size:

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic ... MEQW3W2VL6
When a book is printed, all pages are trimmed to the selected trim size by cutting 0.125” (3.2 mm) from the top, bottom, and outside edges. In order for objects on your page to reach all the way to the edge of the page, those objects must extend past where the page will be trimmed by 0.125” (3.2 mm). This means you need to increase your page size beyond where it will be trimmed.

Examples of page size with and without bleed:
For a 5 x 8 page with bleed, the table in that article says to set the page dimensions at 5.125" x 8.25" (13 x 20.92 cm)
Timeship

Post by Timeship »

I always use your latest version of FreeOffice, currently FreeOffice2018 (downloaded at www.freeoffice.com/en/), which this forum belongs to. Also, before posting here, I contacted your customer support, who said that they provide "private support" only to "full version" paid users, so they sent me to this forum to get "customers' input" instead.

In addition, now I must also report that it takes me 5 min to load and save a 300-page book with 50 b/w monochrome illustrations (pencil or ink), which makes your "free version" almost unusable for desktop publishing (and by far NOT suitable for magazines or comic book design). Hence, I have no other choice but to use my old MS Word 2000, which handles such files (+/- 300mb) without any problems, even though it was made for XP, which still runs on Win-10. My other option is www.scribus.net, which but is extremely cumbersome for Windows users

8)

Thanks!
SuperTech wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:16 pm Thanks for reporting this problem. Please share the associated file of TextMaker in which you are getting this problem so that we can do further investigation for resolution.

If you want to send it to us privately, please e-mail us at the forum[at]softmaker.de

Please also include the forum URL of this topic so that we can trace your e-mail.
viewtopic.php?f=317&t=21097
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Timeship wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:50 pm I contacted your customer support, who said that they provide "private support" only to "full version" paid users, so they sent me to this forum to get "customers' input" instead.
Yes, that's correct.

I am not asking you to sent email to support, but to forum[at]softmaker.de. This is the email ID which we are using to collect the problematic private files for diagnosis of the problem.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Timeship -

I don't think you understand how this works. After re-reading this thread, I see that you have selected an appropriate, over-sized page size for a 5 x 8 inch trim. So your page size is 5.13 inches wide, and you have been able to paste the image to the full width of that oversized page.

That's all you need to do. You indicated that your image file is 6" x 9", but that's not how image files are sized. They are sized in dots or pixels. But -- let's look at what you have:

You have a 5.13 inch wide page, and you have a 6-inch wide image that fills the entire width of the page. Your complaint is that the image can only be enlarged to 85% of the original size.

That's because you can't make the image larger than the page. If you divide 5.13 by 6, you get 0.855. That's why you can't enlarge to more than 85 percent -- because you have taken the image to the full width of the page.
Timeship

Post by Timeship »

However, in MS Office Word 2000 Pro you can! And since I have been using it for two decades (which only in 2020 started crashing in Win10, wasting my precious time), I decided to try FreeOffice, recommended by a fellow writer/illustrator. However, not all graphic novel artists use the same kind of illustrations (bleed, no bleed, b/w, monochrome, color, etc.) So, to be honest, FreeOffice can't handle graphics very well. THis freeware takes 5min to open a book with 300 monochrome illustrations and 13 color head graphics (not even hi-res photos!), all only 300dpi. And it takes 5min to save automatically every 10min, which is a HUGE hassle and slows my production by 50% per day. That said, I'm back to MS Office, which handles a 400-page book with 1,000 illustrations with ZERO delay, saving it for only 10sec. Crashing or no crashing, hooray!

Now, to your RE. I can't reformat in Photoshop millions of illustrations just because FreeOffice handles graphics differently than MS Office, in which everything is flexible and much user-friendly to do. I never planned to switch to this new freeware, if you read me, which has new rules and rather complicated ways of doing things. It baffles me WHY they didn't just "copycat" MS Office, knowing that people are used to their way for ages? OK, my illustrations are drawn on 6x9 paper in order to be cropped to A5 (5.5x8.5) with 5" bleed all around. There is no big mathematics here. This is how artists and publishers have done it for years, even though recently Amazon and Barnes & Noble started requiring only .13" and .25" bleed for their new print-on-demand machines. And so the story goes on and on like the proverbial cattle train. As Quark put it in the last episode of Deep Space IX: "The more things change, the more they stay the same!"

Thanks for your reply, anyway.

Godspeed!
Woody44 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:00 am Timeship -

I don't think you understand how this works. After re-reading this thread, I see that you have selected an appropriate, over-sized page size for a 5 x 8 inch trim. So your page size is 5.13 inches wide, and you have been able to paste the image to the full width of that oversized page.

That's all you need to do. You indicated that your image file is 6" x 9", but that's not how image files are sized. They are sized in dots or pixels. But -- let's look at what you have:

You have a 5.13 inch wide page, and you have a 6-inch wide image that fills the entire width of the page. Your complaint is that the image can only be enlarged to 85% of the original size.

That's because you can't make the image larger than the page. If you divide 5.13 by 6, you get 0.855. That's why you can't enlarge to more than 85 percent -- because you have taken the image to the full width of the page.

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2018 for Windows”