Devanagari

Questions and answers about FreeOffice TextMaker 2018 for Windows
AV70

Devanagari

Post by AV70 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:27 pm

TextMaker is a great free word processor.

But, for the bug that it doesn't support Devanagari fonts/character set. Without such a support, it is, sorry to say, useless to millions of people who could use it.

Devanagari is used by Sanskrit, Hindi, Marathi and Nepalese languages, say about a billion people.

A serious drawback.

I request the developers to address and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Thanks.

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Devanagari

Post by SuperTech » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:18 pm

Thanks for reporting this problem. I have forwarded this request to our product management...

eutamanche

Post by eutamanche » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:20 am

I agree with AV70 - I discovered this on my elementary os desktop today when trying to do some basic Nepali typing, only to discover that font rendering was problematic. A simple test, such as typing: नमस्ते (Namaste) in a unicode font https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Palanquin?query=palan being an example, shows नमस ते instead.

I tried several different operating systems and software combinations, to come to the following conclusions:

* Textmaker: always shows bad display - both on Linux and on Windows
* LibreOffice: always shows good display - both on LInux and on Windows
* Google Docs (running on firefox) - always shows good display - both on Linux and Windows

I personally like Textmaker in all other regards over Libreoffice - the aesthetics of the interface, the smoothness/lightness of the application. However, not being able to work with unicode/devanagiri is a deal breaker for me.

ketan

Post by ketan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:29 pm

I am using planmaker for excel files, I am not able to view the title of the document which uses marathi / Devnagari font, can you please give solution to this, thanks

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:04 pm

Devanagri fonts are is not supported in SoftMaker Office but I have forwarded this request to our product management...

eutamanche

Post by eutamanche » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:35 am

Thank you @SuperTech!

Currently - the only problem I'm aware of is the half-consonants - they show up in their half- forms instead of the proper joint form. I hope it is an easy fix, since it seems to be fairly standard in applications now.

धन्यवाद!

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2018 for Windows”