Trouble with free product key

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

TexityTex

Trouble with free product key

Post by TexityTex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:25 pm

I am reviewing FreeOffice 2018 as a replacement document viewer for a Server 2016 RDS cluster as Microsoft's official document viewers are no longer supported. Our users do not need to edit documents, just view them. To that end, FreeOffice seems an excellent fit.

This week when I went to start the program and perform some more usage tests with it, I was prompted for a "free product key"
No problem.
I clicked "Get your free product key now", entered my email address and clicked "Get free product key"

Nothing happens immediately (i assume due to the connection attempt timing out)
After about 5-10 seconds I get the Error pop-up.
"Could not connect to server. Please check your internet connection and click Retry."

This occurred several times.

I bypassed our proxy, and tried again with the same results.

I've even gone so far as to run Wireshark to see what is being called, and if that is being blocked for some reason on our firewall, but that came back empty.

Is this a common problem? Is there a problem with the licensing server? Could I be PM'd an IP address/URL that I can check for blocks on?

Thank you.

miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Trouble with free product key

Post by miguel-c » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:01 pm

Hi, the software tries to connect to licensing.softmaker.com to activate. Please allow the access to that host in your firewall/antivirus or temporarily deactivate it.

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Windows (General)”