Installing FreeOffice 2018 along SoftmakerOffice2016. Possible?

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

anewuser

Installing FreeOffice 2018 along SoftmakerOffice2016. Possible?

Post by anewuser » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:51 am

Hi, I would like to do a full comparison of Softmaker Office 2016 for which I have a student license, FreeOffice2018 and FreeOffice2016.

Is it possible to do parallel installs of them?

I save my files in .tmd, .odt, .doc trying to make my files cross compatible between linux and windows (linux's softmaker office to windows' softmaker office, and from softmaker office to winword, and in the pass I have had just broken files) so I very much try upgrades with a lot of care. Most of the time I feel I am always playing with a time bomb in my hands. Sometimes I save as html losing some formating.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Installing FreeOffice 2018 along SoftmakerOffice2016. Possible?

Post by sven-l » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:51 am

Yes, you can install and use both versions at the same time.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

anewuser

Post by anewuser » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:03 am

Oh.

I actually didn't think that was possible not from a legal standpoint but from a technical stand point (eg how would file associations would be handled or dll conflicts).

I guess I will need to keep installations in separate folders and if possible configurations separate as well.

Thank you very much for your reply. Now I go testing.
Any other advice?

anewuser

Post by anewuser » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi.

Update: freeoffice2018 takes over file associations of softmaker office 2016. Even more so, when I started the old exe of softmaker office 2016 what was opened up was freeoffice 2018. I could not do parallel installs (maybe it wasn't clear that I intended to do so on the same machine)

I was unable to test both programs side by side.
On the other hand, uninstallation of freeoffice2018 went well, and softmaker office 2016 continued to work as expected, which is nice.

Offtopic already brought up by others, requiring an internet connection to validate software is not nice if you live in remote areas without no internet. Validating at least by email could work. But my usage case requires me to type school papers in places where there is no internet to validate software, and free/paid wifi isn't common in remotes areas. I mentioned that in the unsinstallating poll but thought to add it here as well.

The alternatives are wordpad (yes but windows only) and abiword (yes, yikes) which crashes a lot on linux unexpectedly. Maybe notepad, notepad++ or geany...and then add formating.

bill0287

Post by bill0287 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:23 pm

There are other free office alternatives, such as LibreOffice and OpenOffice...

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Windows (General)”