Associations

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

earleib

Associations

Post by earleib » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:12 pm

I just finished installing SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 on my HP desktop with Windows 10 (with the April update). When setting the options (Tools/options/system) I found that when trying to set "associate file types" and I click the box, something flashes in the background and it brings up Windows settings. I tried the same thing on Softmaker FreeOffice 2016 and got the same results. I then went to my HP laptop and Windows 10 (with the April update) also with SoftMaker FreeOffics 2016 and got the same thing. I'm almost positive that when I installed the 2016 version, I had no problem setting up the associations. What am I missing? Is there a compatibility problem here? If so, what can I do?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Associations

Post by martin-k » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:43 pm

This is not a bug, at least not ours. There is no way to bring up the Windows File Association dialog in the foreground. Microsoft never bothered to fix it, but it is the only way these days to set file associations from an application. You need to bring the dialog to the foreground yourself.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

earleib

Post by earleib » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:28 pm

earleib wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:12 pm
I just finished installing SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 on my HP desktop with Windows 10 (with the April update). When setting the options (Tools/options/system) I found that when trying to set "associate file types" and I click the box, something flashes in the background and it brings up Windows settings. I tried the same thing on Softmaker FreeOffice 2016 and got the same results. I then went to my HP laptop and Windows 10 (with the April update) also with SoftMaker FreeOffics 2016 and got the same thing. I'm almost positive that when I installed the 2016 version, I had no problem setting up the associations. What am I missing? Is there a compatibility problem here? If so, what can I do?
I am not trying to bring up Windows file associations, I am trying to associate SoftMaker files from within SoftMakers: tools - options - system - "associate file types" . From the system tab, when you click on the rectangular box mid way down on the left side that says "associate file types". I used to be able to set all the associations for Softmaker. I can't do that any more.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:54 pm

The only way to set file associations with Windows 10 forward for an application is to bring up the file-association window of the system, and that's what SoftMaker Office does. An application can no longer ask to register file associations, it can only let the user do it through this window.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Windows (General)”