Default file locations

General questions and answers about FreeOffice 2018 for Windows. Don't post application-specific questions here, but in the appropriate subforum.
Woody44

Default file locations

Post by Woody44 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:57 am

Maybe I missed it, but I cannot find where/how to set a default directory for files created in FreeOffice applications. If I go to Tools ==> Options ==> Files tab, it sows me a directory where templates are stored (which I guess I can change, but I'm not interested in changing where templates are stored). But there is no option to set a directory for where the files I create will be stored. Since I keep my working files on a remote network drive, that means every time I want to open a file I have to start at the very top of the directory chain, then select the drive, then select the primary directory, and only then can I select the directory I want to be working in. There should be a way to set a user option for the default directory where the data files are stored.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Default file locations

Post by Jossi » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:26 pm

When you create a new TextMaker or PlanMaker document, then go to File > Save... or File > Save as..., which directory is offered in the Save dialogue?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:56 pm

There is no way to set a default file location because we use a different approach: every time you open or save a document, that path is memorized and offered the next time you open or save a file. This way, you have to choose the path just once, and it is memorized.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:35 am

I'm sorry to be blunt, but that's just stupid. It makes navigating files in FreeOffice very awkward and counter-intuitive.

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:38 am

Jossi wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:26 pm
When you create a new TextMaker or PlanMaker document, then go to File > Save... or File > Save as..., which directory is offered in the Save dialogue?
It initially takes me to "Computer." From there, I have to select the drive, then the major subdirectory, and then the sub-subdirectory below that.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:23 am

What is counter-intuitive about simply remembering the last folder you worked in? Or doesn't do it do that on your computer?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:21 pm

By the way, SoftMaker Office has a most handy feature: Quick path (at the bottom of the Save dialogue). I use different directories for different kinds of documents (e.g. invoices, letters etc). So neither a fixed directory nor SoftMaker's way of offering always the directory last used meets my needs. By defining my different directories as Quick paths I am able to select any of them with a single mouse click.

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:50 pm

martin-k wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:23 am
What is counter-intuitive about simply remembering the last folder you worked in? Or doesn't do it do that on your computer?
It assumes that the next file I want to access is in the same subdirectory as the last file I worked on. That may be the case for some people but for most people I think that is probably not a valid assumption. It certainly doesn't work for me, and it makes it incrementally more annoying to open re-open a new (different) file for editing.

Woody44

Post by Woody44 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:56 pm

Jossi wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:21 pm
By the way, SoftMaker Office has a most handy feature: Quick path (at the bottom of the Save dialogue). I use different directories for different kinds of documents (e.g. invoices, letters etc). So neither a fixed directory nor SoftMaker's way of offering always the directory last used meets my needs. By defining my different directories as Quick paths I am able to select any of them with a single mouse click.
But we are discussing FreeOffice, and I don't see that as an option in FreeOffice. Even if it was available, it doesn't solve the issue. I can't designate every subdirectory I have documents in as a quick path; that would just duplicate a file manager directory. The easiest way is to be able to set the highest level directory your documents are in as the default, so that any time you want to open a file you begin at the default and click down to the file you want. Your "remember the last directory" means I have to click up to my default directory before I can start clicking down to get to where I need to be.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:18 am

Woody44 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:56 pm
But we are discussing FreeOffice, and I don't see that as an option in FreeOffice.
Just checked: QuickPath is available in FreeOffice.
Woody44 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:56 pm
Even if it was available, it doesn't solve the issue. I can't designate every subdirectory I have documents in as a quick path; that would just duplicate a file manager directory. The easiest way is to be able to set the highest level directory your documents are in as the default, so that any time you want to open a file you begin at the default and click down to the file you want. Your "remember the last directory" means I have to click up to my default directory before I can start clicking down to get to where I need to be.
I see that it is not viable to define every subdirectory as a QuickPath, if you have a lot of them. But your way sounds to me like a lot of clicking anyway. To define the top level directory as a QuickPath could be a workaround that would add only one click more.

forman3

Post by forman3 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Setting a QuickPath for saving files seems like a good workaround. But the QuickPath option doesn't show up when you want to open a file. Perhaps putting a drop down box for QuickPath in the File|Open dialog would be helpful.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:39 pm

The QuickPath function is present in the Open dialogue, but if you are using the Windows system dialogue, it is only a very small button (above the left side of the file name field).

Return to “SoftMaker FreeOffice 2018 for Windows (General)”