Dialog box display in German

stefanmaine

Dialog box display in German

Post by stefanmaine »

I have SoftMaker Professional 2018 rev 974.0203 64 Bit on an iMac with MacOS 10.15. In all three apps (TextMaker, PlanMaker, Presentations) at Preferences>Language> I have chose "English (United States), and at File>Options>Language, I have selected Englsh (United States). In TextMaker, that works. But in PlanMaker and Presentations, the dialog box language displays in German. For example, at File>Save As, the options are Abbrechen and Sichern.

How can I get those to display in English (US)?

Thank you.

PS FYI I switched to SoftMaker yesterday because an upgrade to OS Catalina precludes the use of Microsoft Word & Excel for Mac. I was a little nervous at first, but now I am delighted. This software is really nice!

Vielen Dank (translation by Google)
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Dialog box display in German

Post by miguel-c »

Thank you for your report. I was also able to reproduce it and I'm going to report it to the developers!
strangenoises

Post by strangenoises »

Ah, you beat me to it, with my own newly-installed SoftMaker Office (as opposed to FreeOffice)

In my case, can confirm it also happens if you set your user interface options to English (UK) or English (United Kingdom). Yes, there are separate settings in Options->Language->Language and Options->Appearance->Dialog Language. It appears a bit confusing but I think it actually makes sense as the former is for the language of the documents and the latter for the user interface.

Also... If you turn off "Use system file dialogs" and get the generic very-non-macish ones, those are in English just fine. So it's only the system file dialogs that appear to be the problem. That may help your developers in hunting it down!
stefanmaine

Post by stefanmaine »

miguel-c wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:05 pm Thank you for your report. I was also able to reproduce it, and I'm going to report it to the developers!
Wow. I figured for sure it was something I was doing wrong, some ON/OFF toggle somewhere I was missing. So I backed and forthed a half dozen times ... maybe more. Finally, I thought maybe restarting both the app and the computer itself were necessary to have the change take affect. When that didn't work, I gave up, and came here. Glad I did.
azguy

Post by azguy »

The newest version of Softmaker Office for the Mac mixes languages. Sorry I don't understand Abbrechen and Sichern.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Yes, we're working on a permanent fix.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Problem solved, please download and install again:
https://www.softmaker.net/down/softmake ... e-2018.pkg
strangenoises

Post by strangenoises »

miguel-c wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:00 pm Problem solved, please download and install again:
https://www.softmaker.net/down/softmake ... e-2018.pkg
Belatedly... can confirm this is working correctly for me now.

This self-identifies as 974.0203. Presumably that's not quite the same as the 974 "service pack" release of 7th Feb, as its list-of-changes doesn't mention it. Might be useful to have more detailed version information available when downloading. :D

Relatedly though a bit offtopic for this exact forum, i see the linux apt softmaker-office-2018 package is showing a version of 2924 which doesn't seem to match with anything but its about box also says 974.0203, although installed about a week earlier than this fix build. Consistent visible versioning as a feature request. :D
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

If you divide 2924 by 3 and truncate the decimals, you get 974. We build different 974s for different purposes, so there might be a 2922, a 2923 and a 2924, all representing different incarnations of the same 974.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “PlanMaker 2018 for Mac”