Create a textbox

stefanmaine

Create a textbox

Post by stefanmaine »

Textmaker Professional 2018 on iMac OS 10.15. Can I place a text box on top of an existing block of text? That is, I do not want the text box to push the existing text aside left and right, but rather sit "on top of" the existing text. In Microsoft Word the command to accomplish this function is Insert>Textbox.

The closest I have been able to come in Textmaker is Object>New Text Frame, but placing that on top of existing text shifts the existing text left and right. That is, the text frame "creates a hole" for itself by pushing aside existing text.

Thank you.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Create a textbox

Post by Jossi »

After creating the text box, right-click its border, go to "Properties..." in the context menu and choose "In front of text" in "Text wrapping".
stefanmaine

Post by stefanmaine »

Thank you. My iMac using TextMaker 2018 did not display as your instructions suggested, but you got me onto the right track. I am grateful for that. Maybe I misunderstood your instructions, and there's a simpler way.

Anyway, for others, here's what worked for me:

Click on Object>>New Text Frame, then click on your document where you want the text box.
Then, right click the box's border (it's important that you click somewhere along the border), select Properties>>Layout>>Text Wrapping, and choose the image at the far right (it is the fifth image - a page with text lines and an animal with a long tail)

Then to put a background color (like white) into the box (so the existing text below the box does not show through), click on Filling (to the right of Layout that you clicked on before), then Fill Type (the default shows as "No Filling")>> click the arrows to "Solid Color" and select the color you want. Close the dialog box.

Then, to write inside the text box, click on HOME from the list at the top of the screen: File/Home/Insert/Layout/... (it may already be selected) then click inside the text box (here. it is important that you click inside the box, not on the border). That will "awaken" the "Character" section of Home's neighborhood. There, select font, font size, font color, etc. for the text in the text box
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

The first paragraph of your solution contains basically what I wrote. As I didn't know what you needed the text box for, I didn't add the steps for filling and writing in the text box, but I'm glad you've found the solution you were searching for.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Mac”