Inserting PDF images

pauld

Inserting PDF images

Post by pauld »

I have a PDF of a chart that I want to insert into a TextMaker document. If I try to insert it as a picture, PDFs aren't recognised. How can I do this?
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Inserting PDF images

Post by miguel-c »

I'm sorry, but I didn't quite understand your problem.
Could you please send a step by step (bonus for screenshots) and also send the files to forum(at)softmaker.de?
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Let me help out: When you go to Object > New picture... or Object > New picture frame..., PDF is not offered in the list of file types. When you select "All files (*)" and then a PDF, you get an "Invalid picture file" message. So, obviously, it is not possible to insert an image in PDF format as a picture into a TextMaker document. Given the fact that PDFs have no fixed resolution, can have many pages and contain some interesting things, this doesn't come as much of a surprise: to handle a PDF correctly as a sort of image file is not a trivial matter.

There is a simple workaround, though: Open the PDF in Preview and export it as a picture file (PNG, JPEG or TIFF) before inserting it into the TextMaker document. As macOS relies heavily on PDF as an internal format, it is actually quite good in handling them.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Thanks Jossi!
pauld

Post by pauld »

Thanks, Jossi. That way I can adjust the dpi as well!

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Mac”