Remove hidden character

nsmacguru

Remove hidden character

Post by nsmacguru »

I have a Word document that needs to be cleaned up. The original source was probably a PDF that someone copied and pasted the text from, so it's a bit of a jumble.

There's a character showing up in the header when you reveal invisibles, and I can't get rid of it... no idea if it's causing any issues, but I'd like to remove it if possible. Any ideas?
Invisible_Character.png
Invisible_Character.png (4.47 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Remove hidden character

Post by martin-k »

That's a fancy design of the visible marker depicting a paragraph break. You can remove it, but you'll lose the paragraph break... ;-)

It doesn't cause any issues. Disable showing invisible characters if it bothers you, but this all works as designed.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
nsmacguru

Re: Remove hidden character

Post by nsmacguru »

Thanks, Martin. This document is majorly messed up. They should have given me the original to convert... I hate cleaning up other people's messes.

You know how Word can be with hidden characters and formatting.... that's why I'm a bit obsessive about removing everything possible to avoid unusual problems, even in TextMaker.

There remains hidden formatting that I just can't get rid of. The headers & footers are seriously messed. I'd take the time to just copy and paste as normal text into a new document, but it's a thesis-length document and recreating the tables, etc. properly is more work than I want to put into it.

Long night ahead. Thanks for the input.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Mac (General)”