Accented characters

G.R.H

Accented characters

Post by G.R.H »

Is it possible to enable the selection of accented characters by holding down the character key and have the selection show up as per other programs on a Mac? As I use accented characters a lot this would be great to have. Thanks.
G.R.H

Re: Accented characters

Post by G.R.H »

I appreciate that I have put this in the wrong section (Windows) - sorry, perhaps you can move it please.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Hi, thank you for your suggestion. I'm going to forward it to the developers for evaluation.
JezShed

Post by JezShed »

If you hold a character key down then doesn't that simply cause the keyboard auto-repeat to kick in? It does on all the programs I've ever used.

The only time I see extra character options pop up is if I'm using my Android phone.

Be interested to know if the Mac has a different way of providing special characters compared to Windows.

In windows I tend to use the ALT-gr key with the vowel key for the accute accent (é). Otherwise I use the character map program, and sometimes I use ALT-xxxx with the numeric keypad to bring up a special unicode character such as ALT-0177 for the ± charecter for example.

Sometimes I seriously condiser a dedicated French keyboard for the times I work on French documents :)

My normal keyboard is UK.

Jez
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

I finally moved this to the Mac forum, where it belongs.

Yes, this is macOS-specific behavior (similar to mobile phones) that we don't have yet.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Bill

Post by Bill »

I have just downloaded Free Office and discovered that the Mac accent functionality (that I use a LOT) does not work. It would be great if that could be integrated [-o<

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Mac (General)”