Window on second monitor is unworkable

AST

Window on second monitor is unworkable

Post by AST »

I usually work with two monitors. The second monitor has a resolution that is different (lower) from my laptop. If I move a window to my second monitor, all the toolbars or ribbons disappear and there is only a small windowbar left. The text becomes very large, and the lower window bar with the indications of Section 1, Page 1 etc. is enlarged. Only part of the window is visible. Most disappears on the left edge of the screen. A program dialog window has the same behaviour, and I can't use it for most of the options. I've tried it with several interfaces sizes and with a scaled (lower) resolution of the second monitor, but it's always the same behavior. I wanted to try it by starting Textmaker of Planmaker on the second monitor and move a window to my laptop, to see whether windows would then behave normally, but the program always chooses the laptop as its start monitor.
I searched the forum on this, but couldn't find an entry that reports the same.
I'm using Office 2018 (rev 960), on a MacBook Pro 15 inch, MacOS 10.14.4. The second monitor is 18.5 inch, running with a resolution of 1366 x 768.

Any idea what might cause this? Any fix that may be around?
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Window on second monitor is unworkable

Post by martin-k »

Can you provide a screenshot?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
AST

Post by AST »

Two screenshots. One with only an (empty) document open, and one with the preferences window called up. One thing that struck me was that when the preferences window was called with the document on the second monitor as shown, the initial window was normal and changed to this blown-up size after one or two seconds.
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 9.04.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 9.03.18 PM.png
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

I couldn't reproduce that issue here. Please attach your sminfo.txt (logfile). You can create it via "?"/About. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
AST

Post by AST »

Please find it attached.
Attachments
sminfo.txt
(102.27 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
yarilko

Post by yarilko »

sven-l wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:02 pm I couldn't reproduce that issue here. Please attach your sminfo.txt (logfile). You can create it via "?"/About. Thank you!
Hi! I have exactly the same problem with the office Professional 2018. It is the latest version, but I purchased it recently, so cannot say if the problem existed in previous versions. On my ACER B286 HK monitor, the windows from all three office apps are completely distorted. The same happens when I connect an external beemer for slideshow. Hence, I was forced to export slides as PDF and do the presentations like that.

Can I anyhow help you reproduce?

My technical details:
MAC Mojave 10.14.4 (18E226)
Resolution: Default for display
Rotation: Standard
Mirror: off

Attaching systeminfo which I managed to generate while the window was on the second monitor (the Generate button was not visible, but TAB+ENTER did the job).
Attachments
sminfo.txt
(102.02 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Thank you! I will report that issue to the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Hi, have you tried updating to version 962.0418 to see if the issue is still there?
yarilko

Post by yarilko »

miguel-c wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:34 pm Hi, have you tried updating to version 962.0418 to see if the issue is still there?
Hi! I have this version installed. Seems, it works flawlessly!
Dear Softmaker team, thanks a lot for quick fixing!
rene@lidhem.com

Post by rene@lidhem.com »

Hi, I have just started using a a new monitor and have the same issue, if I start office when attached to the external screen, the screens become extremely small and unresponsive when disconnecting the screen and if I have an office application open when connecting the external screen the window becomes extremely large and the menu is outside of the visible area of the screen. Restart of the program helps to get it normal as long as I don't connect or disconnect the screen.

Have tested on 2 macbook pro's , one on 11.0.1 and one on Catalina, both have exact the same behaviour. Tested with office 2021 and also same behaviour.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. I have forwarded the details to our product management...

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Mac (General)”