Substitute font

fox

Substitute font

Post by fox »

In opening some of my pptx presentations in Presentations 2018, I notice that the font substituted for Futura is a curly font, and isn't appropriate. Is there a way in Presentations to specify what to substitute for a specific missing font? Unfortunately, Futura is the default in Microsoft PowerPoint for many of the headings, and changing every one by hand is quite laborious.
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Re: Substitute font

Post by Michael Uplawski »

Font-substitutions are a system-wide setting in Linux. There appear to be several ways to define substitution fonts, one is explained here. It looks quite efficient and even provides some background on how fonts are managed in the first place.

A similar article, more Debian centered but probably of general interest, is here.

That was the on-topic answer. Now the solution to your problem: “Install” the Futura font, i.e. save the *.ttf files to /usr/share/fonts/truetype and you are done.
Hindsight is in the eye of the beholder.
fox

Re: Substitute font

Post by fox »

Thank you very much, Michael. Installation worked, and now my MS PowerPoint files look right in Presentations. I didn't try to define substitution fonts, as the installation method looked easier.

Return to “Presentations 2018 for Linux”