JohnWasilewski

Footnotes DO obey Style actions and Styles DO work

Post by JohnWasilewski »

Lenovo Thinkpad P50s core i7 16GB
Linux Zorin 15.2 (Debian/Ubuntu)
SM Office 2018 Anniversary Update
TextMaker Professional 2028 (rev S976.0313) 64 bit
--------------------------------------------------------------
I try to control the format of all by footnotes by manually formatting one of them and then using 'Update from Text' to make this the paragraph and text format of the style called 'Footnote Text'.

I do it like this:
(1) format a footnote to how I want it;
(2) select the whole footnote;
(3) Pull down Format>Paragraph style...;
(4) Select 'Footnote Text' then click 'Update from Text;
(5) Pull down Format>Character style...;
(6) Select 'Footnote Text' then click 'Update from Text.

Why, then, after doing this, other footnotes - even when they have 'Footnote Text' showing in the Style selector gadget - do not then all have the same format as the footnote used to update the footnote text style?

Why, when I select the whole of another footnote, then set use the style gadget in the icons bar to select set its style to 'Footnote Text' style, why do not its paragraph and text formats change to the same as those of the footnote used to update the footnote text style?

The other footnotes seem to ignore all of these actions. I cannot get them to obey any of the Footnote Text styles I try to set by using 'Update from Text'.
---
John
Last edited by JohnWasilewski on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnWasilewski

Re: Footnotes won't obey Style actions

Post by JohnWasilewski »

I am having the same difficulty with footnote references in the main text.

If I have a footnote reference character that has a style called 'Footnote Reference', and if I format that character manually by adjusting the superscript height, and then use Format>Character style... 'Update from text', this DOES NOT change the superscript height of the 'Footnote Reference' style, and none of the other characters with this style receive the updated character format for which the Footnote reference' style was supposed to have had its character format changed.

The only ways I can change all the footnote references to the format I want are by changing each one of them manually, or using copy and paste format to each one of them manually.

I do so wish I wasn't having this problem, because it is greatly hindering my work.
---
John
Last edited by JohnWasilewski on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnWasilewski

Re: Footnotes won't obey Style actions

Post by JohnWasilewski »

A related problem is when I have a paragraph that has one style, such as 'Normal' for the whole paragraph, and a footnote reference number attached to one of the words somewhere in that paragraph. When I paint the footnote number with the mouse to select it and then use the style drop-down selector gadget to assign the 'Footnote Reference' style to the footnote number, this changes the style, not just of the currently-selected footnote reference number, but of the whole (not-currently-selected) paragraph. Surely, it has to be possible, does it not, like in M$Word, to have a paragraph with one style, but footnote numbers inside that paragraph with their own different style?

With Textmaker, though, the whole paragraph then has a style changed from 'Normal' to 'Footnote reference', which is not at all what was intended. I know that this has happened because the style gadget now shows the wrong style for the whole paragraph. It happens only in name, though, because of the other problem - namely, even though the style has been changed, this still fails to update the paragraph's format to match that which I have given to the 'Footnote Reference' style.

When I correct this by changing the paragraph style back to 'Normal', this then changes the footnote number back to the 'Normal' style as well - instead of leaving it as 'Footnote Reference' style, as it ought to do.

This is driving me up the wall.
---
John
JohnWasilewski

Re: Footnotes DO obey Style actions and Styles DO work

Post by JohnWasilewski »

I have found the answer.

The 'style' drop-down gadget beneath the menu bar shows the PARAGRAPH-style only. If the character style has been changed for any of the text in the paragraph, this isn't shown, and there isn't a similar gadget that can be put next to it showing the CHARACTER-style.

Changing a style by using the 'style' drop-down gadget beneath the menu bar always changes the PARAGRAPH style and leaves all the Character styles in the selected text just as they were .
---
John

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Linux”