Dead key support

mgrinsven

Dead key support

Post by mgrinsven »

What am i doing wrong in Textmaker? Somehow dead keys are not working. I run Textmaker in the Dutch language on Ubuntu 18.04. Everywhere else dead keys are working (i.e. ë by pressing " +e). But not in Textmaker..... Planmaker and presentation do not have problems. Seems a bit like the " key is ignored. Must be some setting somewhere i assume, but cannot figure it out.

What is going on here?
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Re: Dead key support

Post by Michael Uplawski »

mgrinsven wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:57 am What am i doing wrong in Textmaker? Somehow dead keys are not working. I run Textmaker in the Dutch language on Ubuntu 18.04. Everywhere else dead keys are working (i.e. ë by pressing " +e).
Good evening.
While I do not believe that you are doing anything wrong, the problem does however not concern everybody. I can compose arbitrary accented characters or add diaeresis to arbitrary characters, even in TextMaker.
sc_trema_accent_etc.png
Although I am using Debian and not Ubuntu, the divergence between TextMaker and the other components is surprising. Have you verified that you use the *same* font, when you compare TextMaker to PlanMaker and Presentations? But that is just a wild speculation, only SoftMaker can give you a real advice, here.
Hindsight is in the eye of the beholder.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

I can reproduce the issue @goodoldboy described in Ubunto 18.04.
Solution: Go to "File | Options | System" and then activate "Use XIM"
I'm going to report this issue to the developers. Thank you!
PS: I tested this under version 974.
mgrinsven

Post by mgrinsven »

miguel-c wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:52 pm I can reproduce the issue @goodoldboy described in Ubunto 18.04.
Solution: Go to "File | Options | System" and then activate "Use XIM"
I'm going to report this issue to the developers. Thank you!
PS: I tested this under version 974.
Thanks, activating XIM solved my problem.
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Post by Michael Uplawski »

@miguel-c

Could there be a list of cases that ask for the activation/deactivation of XIM?

I still do not know what it does, what it is, and why I am using it, sometimes and sometimes not. And sometimes, when things do not work as expected, it is because I have not activated XIM, sometimes this is not the question. I do not remember any case where I had to deactivate XIM and do not remember a discussion where it had been recommended... But, as we are free to use the setting or not, and as SoftMaker chose to not activate XIM anyway.., Nah. I really would appreciate a list.
Hindsight is in the eye of the beholder.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

According to the user manual:
Use XIM (Linux only): When this option is enabled, Presentations supports the composition
of accented characters (à, ô, é, etc.) using “XIM”.
For example, with a German keyboard, you can insert the character “ô” by first
pressing the (^) key and then pressing the (O) key.
If you disable this option, composing characters like this is no longer possible.
Note: On some systems, disabling this option improves the responsiveness of the
display when you are typing text fast.
joredor

Post by joredor »

Huh, this doesn't work for me. When I type ^ and then o, I simply get ^o. XIM is indeed enabled (Tools --> Options --> Use XIM).

Tried this on TM for Linux version 974 a few minutes ago, and then again on 976 after installing the new service pack. I'm on Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this issue. I have updated our development team for this issue.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Linux”