Loosing DOCPROPERTY fields

uhlxsmu

Loosing DOCPROPERTY fields

Post by uhlxsmu »

If I open a document from MS Word (.doc) that contains DOCPROPERTY fields, do some edits in TextMaker and then save it (still as .doc), all these fields are converted to normal text. How can I avoid this?
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Loosing DOCPROPERTY fields

Post by sven-l »

Please attach a sample file (created with MS Word and not saved with TextMaker). Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
uhlxsmu

Post by uhlxsmu »

Attached is a file I created with MS Word 97 on Win XP, but I have the same problems with files Word 365 on Win 7.
Attachments
testw97.doc
(19 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
robert-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by robert-l »

Not comprehensible (Word 2019, TextMaker 2018)
uhlxsmu

Post by uhlxsmu »

> Not comprehensible

What do you mean?
I downloaded the file again, and could open it without any problems in TextMaker Professional 2018 (rev 942.1129) 64bit
and Microsoft Word Version 1808, Build 10730.20280 from Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus.

The file contains a single line.
In Word, the line contains a DOCPROPERTY field.
In TextMaker I don't see any field but only its value ("Value in word"), and if I add a character, delete it again and save it,
and then open it in Word again, the field is gone and I only see the value.
Also, after saving it from TextMaker, the file is considerably smaller (12800 bytes compared to 19456 bytes originally).
The "file" command for the original Word file contains:
Composite Document File V2 Document, Little Endian, Os: Windows, Version 5.1
The "file" command for the file saved from TextMaker contains:
Composite Document File V2 Document, Little Endian, Os 0, Version: 1.0

HTH
uhlxsmu

Post by uhlxsmu »

Any news on this?
robert-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by robert-l »

With a new Microsoft Office version it can come first of all to errors. Of course we try to solve compatibility problems as soon as possible.

Fields can be different, e.g. the function is displayed and not the value. Sometimes it is enough to update the field to get the value, sometimes you have to adjust the setting accordingly.

About the file and the field: Microsoft works with VBA, which SoftMaker Office does not know. If the Word file is saved as tmdx, the field is lost and the value remains. If the document is then opened again with Word, the field is of course still gone and only the value remains.
uhlxsmu

Post by uhlxsmu »

> With a new Microsoft Office version it can come first of all to errors. Of course we try to solve compatibility problems as soon as possible.

This has nothing to do with a new MS Office version.
The problem even exists with MS Oficce 97, more than 20 years old.

> Fields can be different, e.g. the function is displayed and not the value. Sometimes it is enough to update the field to get the value, sometimes you have to adjust the setting accordingly.

I don't really care what TextMaker displays, it should just leave unknown fields alone.
I understand that TextMaker doesn't support DOCPROPERTY, which is annoying, but I can live with it.
But it shouldn't remove such fields.

> About the file and the field: Microsoft works with VBA, which SoftMaker Office does not know. If the Word file is saved as tmdx, the field is lost and the value remains. If the document is then opened again with Word, the field is of course still gone and only the value remains.

I don't think this has anything to do with VBA: DOCPROPERTY is just a field name, not a VBA procedure.
But anyway, I never saved the file as tmdx, and if you actually opened my file in TextMaker, saved it again as MS Word document (.doc) and opened it in (any) MS Word, you should have noticed this.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Linux”