Equation feature

milomak

Equation feature

Post by milomak »

Does Softmaker have this ability to be able to create equations?
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Equation feature

Post by sven-l »

An Equation editor is available in TextMaker for Windows but not in the Linux version.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
milomak

Post by milomak »

sven-l wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:09 am An Equation editor is available in TextMaker for Windows but not in the Linux version.
Thanks.

Why is that if I may ask?
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

It is feature that we are planning for future versions.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

milomak wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:12 am
sven-l wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:09 am An Equation editor is available in TextMaker for Windows but not in the Linux version.
Thanks.

Why is that if I may ask?
It is an OLE server that we licensed from another company. OLE servers are Windows-specific.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Post by Michael Uplawski »

raitis.veksejs wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:04 amIt is feature that we are planning for future versions.
Elaborate, please.

As the “feature” currently depends on components which are external to SoftMaker Office and nonexistent in Linux, what is the “plan”, exactly? If you are leaning out of the window (not ®, I mean an opening in the outer wall of your domicile...) and are authorized to do so, by the company, PSE clarify:
  • The equation editor will be integrated in the office-suite by coding it explicitly
  • The equation editor will come in two versions, one for Windows® (<-- see) and one which works in the Linux-releases of the office-suite.
  • You are giving up on OLE.
  • You consider a new kind of abstraction layer which exposes SoftMaker Office functionality to external applications. A Programming Interface will become possible as a by-product of this development and you are currently evaluating languages for this very purpose. SoftMaker Office will come in flavors Yasmin, Lavender and Gluten-Free and be the solution to all our problems.
Usually the thread ends here. But raitis.veksejs is a new pseudo in the forum and hope dies last.

Edits: Cosmetics (and PLS means plus)
Last edited by Michael Uplawski on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hindsight is in the eye of the beholder.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

We will be working on our own equation editor which will not use OLE. We are already have our own equation renderer in SoftMaker Office 2018 on all platforms (we needed that for DOCX support).
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Arpeggio

Post by Arpeggio »

raitis.veksejs wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:04 am It is feature that we are planning for future versions.
Good evening!
By future versions you mean, for example, a 2020 version or just an update? Because I have urgency in having an equation editor!

Thank you!
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

There is no exact timeline yet for finishing development of this feature. As soon as there will be news available we will inform our customers. This will not be the regular update for sure.
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Post by Michael Uplawski »

Arpeggio wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:31 pmBy future versions you mean, for example, a 2020 version or just an update? Because I have urgency in having an equation editor!
Read again Mister Kotula's post, above:
We will be working on our own equation editor which will not use OLE.
This is a profound change which shall concern the Windows®-version of the office-suite, too. You cannot expect such new features in a regular update. Better not.
Hindsight is in the eye of the beholder.
astronos2007

Post by astronos2007 »

Any news on this? I could really use this feature... I cannot use SoftMaker to write my thesis because of the lack of an equation editor. The workaround is to use another software for equations and import the generated image, but it looks awful and it is such a fuss.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Sorry, still working on it, but it will take time.
sayed_bd

Post by sayed_bd »

You can use Mathcast to write the equations and copy & paste it in any one package of freeoffice under windows.

https://mathcast.sourceforge.net/home.html
Last edited by sayed_bd on Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Linux”