Automatic folder creation

sablera

Automatic folder creation

Post by sablera »

Whenever I launch a FreeOffice program, it creates a folder /home/username/SoftMaker. I want this to be a hidden folder, such as .SoftMaker. How do I change the name of this auto-created folder? I tried changing the default locations in the text files in Settings folder and the default locations in the software itself. Where is the startup script located, so I can directly change the folder there? Thanks!
Michael Uplawski
Location: Canton Magny (previously Canton Carrouges), Orne, Normandy (previously Lower Normandy)

Re: Automatic folder creation

Post by Michael Uplawski »

You cannot avoid that the Settings-Folder be located in ~/SoftMaker and you cannot make the office-suite look for settings somewhere else

Now, what you can do depends a little on the purpose. If you need the Settings-folder in a different place, because *other* software, scripts and the like must use it, create a symbolic link to ~/SoftMaker/Settings or better a link to the one file, which is of interest to your other routine.

If you have older SoftMaker programs, which look for settings in a hidden directory, make one of both directories a symbolic link to the other.

The same applies, if you want to concentrate, for whichever reason, configurations in one place, like it is with ~/.config.

There is one problem with symbolic links: You will forget they exist and why you have created them in the first place. In the same way, when they disappear one day, you do not remember why anything would stop working out of a sudden.

My recommendation is rather: Try to adapt yourself to the existing folder ~/SoftMaker

P.S.: “Automatic folder creation” is a misleading thread-title. Had I known what it is about, I would not even have opened it ;)
Hindsight is in the eye of the beholder.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2018 for Linux (General)”